Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!
I guess I'll look for a set of chains this summer. Any suggestions as to where...dealer, TSC, Northern Tool?

I knew the chains would help with traction when pulling or going up hill. I did not know they would work the same when going down hill on hard pack and ice preventing sliding.

I had rather be safe so chains are now on the "need list".

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!
Hunterridge,
I know how ya feel-- had a few little slips, but nothing more than 3 or 4 feet...

This is the first year I have ever had a tractor and scraped.. Well I don't count dad's old sears garden tractor down in Georgia. 14 hp and a 36 inch blade.. funny how you remember the little blades in inches, and now mine is in feet. :) ..anyway-----

We had over 12 inches in Saluda. Got a 1/2 mile driveway, 1/4 mile is asphault, 1/4 gravel.. and about 1.5 miles of state road that is hard packed gravel.. I posted a few pics on another thread.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/138481-snow-coming-4.html

I have to admit it was alot of fun.. Scraped my driveway, and 2 relatives.
got the tractor stuck at the relatives house... and had to use a shovel to clean snow out from under it so keep from flipping her over when backing her up.
not sure if I would want to do this weekly or not, like the folks up north though!

stay warm!

Later,
J

J

Looks like you have some steep places on your drive. I knew I would have problems if it ever snowed but the free wheeling is something I don't want to experience, so chains it is.

And doing this every week like our friends up north...nah...you guys can keep the snow! I still have 4-5 acres I need to bush hog that I never got to this summer. Its hard to bush hog with snow on the ground!:D

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #23  
Found on here where one good place to buy chains,think it was tirechains.com?,search,you'll find it. I went on there,set of good ones for my ck30 with industrials,think was close to 500 dollars?[just the rear ones],don't think you want them on the front[or would need them],.

Only thing is clearance,they are supposed to work on my tractor according to others,but some tractors don't have enough room.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #24  
I have had the misfortune of experiencing that pegged out "puckometer" while sliding down the driveway. My drive is 500 ft or so with a pretty good grade to it. Going up one time in the snow I lost traction about 1/2 way up on the steepest part. I had either try to back up or turn around, I opted to back up using the blade to help create drag to keep from sliding off into the next valley. Now I always back up until I loose traction then drop blade and come back down. Repeat as required.

John

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #25  
chains on the front and in 2wd ?? what am I missing? is your tractor front wheel drive? If you are in 2wd, no engine braking on front, no brakes on front, no traction on front ...why chains on front?

No snow on the ground in winter? it happens and I won't take the front chains off just because the snow is gone..oh yeah. I only use 4WD when needed...snow=4WD.mud=4WD.hill=4WD, lack of traction=4WD, anything else=2WD.....so if I'm in 2WD, so much the better..;) Hey it's your machine do what you want. Chains on front only is enough for me, so far.
:)

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #26  
hunterridge,
Steep-- NAH-- not really steep.
not nearly steep enough to ski on. :)
ok ok- yeah it is..

I really agree on the bushhogging..

Funny thing is today my trip over to the TN line by Gatlinburg was snowless after passing waynesville.. UNREAL!!!

anyway, as I said before yall stay warm..

as I say this, there is a fire in the fireplace.. and I am relaxing on the couch...

Later folks,
J

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #27  
From the pictures it looks like you just had this paved not long ago. Something most people dont know is that new black top will be slippery for the first winter with oil on or near the surface. I work for New york state Dot and we have gotten 300 inches of snow so far this winter. Every year when we pave a road its like this. Once you get a year of so of driving along with the sun beating on it the black top it will get better.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #28  
I guess I'll look for a set of chains this summer. Any suggestions as to where...dealer, TSC, Northern Tool?

I knew the chains would help with traction when pulling or going up hill. I did not know they would work the same when going down hill on hard pack and ice preventing sliding.

I had rather be safe so chains are now on the "need list".

Good Mornin David,
If it makes you feel any better, some of the slickest conditions I have ever encountered is when you have a wet snow like you encountered ! When its really cold and the snow is fine you get much more bite or grip from your tractor ! Anyways glad your OK, and.... you did it without any tobacco ! Congrats ! :)

BTW chains will help ! ;)

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #29  
Any second thoughts on paving that hilly drive? (As opposed to gravel)? We also have a long and steep drive which is gravel covered. Would love to have it paved but worry that traction in winter would really be comprimised.