Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
We received our first decent snow fall in about 5 years, around 6" of the wet stuff last night. We used to get several good 6-12" snow falls every year up until about 15 years ago now it just goes east or west of us.

I have alwasy enjoyed plowing snow I guess because we never really get that much anymore. Always plowed the snow on flat ground. I had read about plowing down hill and free wheeling. Got my first experience today:eek:,
don't like it!!

Went down the drive twice with no issue. Third time slid some but tires grabbed...got my attention...thought maybe I was going a little to fast. Went to the top turned the blade around and was going to back down the drive, about a quarter of the way down had second thoughts and went back to the top turned the blade back around and headed down going forward. A little slower this time 3rd gear low range. A little over half way down and tractor just takes off:eek:, pucker meter pegged out!:eek::D. I have NEVER experenced this before and fortunately kept the tractor from going sideways. I ran off the right side of the drive missing the deepest part of the ditch on that side. I did what I thought was quick thinking and curled the bucket and droped it so to ride across the ditch at a slight angle.

Once my heart got back to normal I drove to the top and parked the tractor and finished with the shovel!

I have attached a couple of old pics of the driveway to show how steep it is but it really does not do justice.

So all you snow pushers, what did I do wrong? Should I have used the bucket and floated?

Would chains help?

I don't plan on running out and buying any chains since it will be 70* here Saturday. However I the furture if the snows become more frequent I will need to buy some.

David

Attachments

• 100_0617.jpg
    100_0617.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 460
  • 100_0723.jpg
    100_0723.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 400
   / Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #2  
Glad to hear you are O.K., we also actually got some snow out of this storm...it is drifting pretty bad in some spots near where we live.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #3  
Glad you didnt get hurt. We got 5" over here in Harmony. First time I used the tractor to move snow, The R-4s did well with no chains. I did my two driveways and my neighbors driveway his is steep but not as bad as yours.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!
Thanks guys...you know I never really was scared for me I was worried about my tractor:D. But it is true what they say about jumping off, did not have time.

I have R1's but a thin sheet of ice was all it took to go sledding!

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #5  
If you woulda had a big rub of copenhagen in there,this wouldn't have happened you know.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #6  
I've plowed a lot of snow over the years, and can thankfully say I've never had the tractor get away from me.

I've had wet sow, dry snow, deep snow, and mere dustings to deal with.

I've always preferred going downhill in forward fashion. It always felt to me like the steering was way touchier going in reverse, and I prefer to face imminent destruction (if it comes to that) face-first. Use of the diff-lock, and the steering brakes seems more natural too when moving forward...If I were you I'd try the next storm with your loader in float, moving forward at a slow pace (at least on the hilly part...).

Glad you weren't hurt, and that your tractor is OK.

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #7  
Idid the exact same thing ,after my base layerpacked, down with my blower on this year.Ended up in the ditch...scarey aint it.
Picked up some rear chains ,problem solved ,never slid again.Ican even drive up or down that steep grade on glare ice.
ALAN

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL!
Idid the exact same thing ,after my base layerpacked, down with my blower on this year.Ended up in the ditch...scarey aint it.
Picked up some rear chains ,problem solved ,never slid again.Ican even drive up or down that steep grade on glare ice.
ALAN

Never used chains but like I said if we start having several snows a year I will need to buy some chains.

The chains will make that much difference?

Chains for rear and front or just rear?

/ Snow,Hill, OUT OF CONTROL! #10  
Yes, chains make that much of a difference.

Rears are probably enough for what you need to do