Slow moving vehicle sign

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #11  
if it's got road tags too.. I'll bet the dot never lifts a finger. They get ansi when there are no road tags, and there is a SMV and the tow vehicle is exceding about 24mph.. etc.. at least here in fl anyway..

Most of our large road equipment can travel in the 30's mph easilly.. like scraper pans and road graders.. etc.. yet we still keep SMV's on them because the bulk of the time they go slow. Same with our on-road trucks.. like water tankers. as they do double duty on the jobsites around traffic. We like the added visibility of the smv plaques. never had a LEO complaint about a SMV plaque on a vehicle that also had road plates..etc..

soundguy

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #12  
There are two types of SMV signs the painted ones and the super reflective ones. Some states only allow the super night reflectors SMV.

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #13  
If you have a friend with a sports car or a fast bike you can put a SMV symbol on the back of it...always good for a chuckle.

But when my "friends" put one on the back of my motorcycle it wasn't funny.

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #14  
Here in north central Indiana, they will pull you over if you dont remove the SMV triangle from a trailered tractor or piece of equipment. If its on a trailer being pulled by a pickup ect, then you have to cover or remove the SMV triangle from the tractor. A buddy found this out the hard way on the way to a tractor plowing event. Cheers Mike

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #15  
See.. that's what you get for living in one of those communist states... I'd think police would have more to do preventing crime.. than generating 'business' by creating traffic infractions for frivolous reasons... go figure..

your tax dollars at work!

soundguy

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #16  
Mine is sitting still on my tractor right now so i guess i had better get off the computer and go get some seat time:D:D

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #17  
I'd think police would have more to do preventing crime.. than generating 'business' by creating traffic infractions for frivolous reasons... go figure..

your tax dollars at work!

soundguy

Soundguy,
Don't you know police do not prevent crime, they only investigate after a crime has been committed and the criminal has had ample time to flee the scene. Their job is easier if there is no one to arrest. Around here police couldn't catch a cold.:rolleyes:

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #18  
Around here, if a burgler alarm goes off at a business.. they won't enter the property till an owner/manager/employee shows up.. then they send that poor fellow in first! I kid you not! BTDT with a frined that owned a store in the city.. I used to play cards with him at night after closing.. he was brok into a few times and each time cops summoned him out there and we had to go in first. sweet. makes me feel safer just thinking about it again!

soundguy

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #19  
Probably because the state of Illinois now requires SMV emblems to meet the new ASAE S276.5 standard, and this emblem does not meet that standard.

I'm not really that smart, I just cut and pasted the above from a SMV sign advertised on Gempler's site.

Illinois does have special requirements for SMV's

/ Slow moving vehicle sign #20  
From what I have read the SMV sign is REQUIRED on vehicles that are INCAPABLE of exceeding 40 KmPH, 25 MPH.
I have seen them on the back of trailers that are behind highway speed capable trucks.

So far I have read (here, in this thread) that they will make you remove or cover a SMV sign on a load (tractor) that is on a vehicle that is capable of more than 25 MPH, at least in Indiana.

So, do they issue tickets ? or just make you cover/remove them ?
Not that I want the hassle either way, but I would LIKE that little bit of extra viz that the SMV sign gives.