When is Reverse Forward?

/ When is Reverse Forward? #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Pushed my Bota a little to hard and managed to leave a little brown spot on her wrinkled seat. Same old process, dig hole around tree-cut roots with axe-push tree down with Bota-fill hole and burn tree. Seems I was pushing her a bit to hard and maybe didn't have RPM's up enough. Anyhow when pushing tree down ,motor seemed to stall and stated making BAD sounds and smoke was comining from under hood. Pushed on reverse peddle and she went forward?? Couildn't go forward-tree in the way. Tried forward and she backed up?? Shut her down looked under hood, not real sure what I"m looking for while thoughts of hugh repair bill were running thru my head. Finally got up enough nerve to try starting again and guess what happened? A little smoke starting and everything OK. Finally figured out that there was enough spring tension in tree from pushing so that when motor stalled tree pushed Bota backwards and viola, a reverse running engine.

/ When is Reverse Forward? #2  
I saw that happen once with a 40hp Bota with a farmi tree winch,he was flogging it hard and next thing you know it was running backwards,shut it down and 'rebooted',all was well, Note to self,don't buy tractor from that kid!

/ When is Reverse Forward? #3  
Lucky you!:) Nice story and demonstration of how it can happen.

/ When is Reverse Forward? #4  
CHANGE THE OIL ---> NOW.

You stalled the engine by pushing too hard, then the compression in the cylinders spun the engine BACKWARDS and it continued to run. BACKWARDS.

What's the big deal? The OIL PUMP was also running BACKWARDS ! No oil to the crankshaft, no oil to the rods, no oil to lifters, no oil to the rocker arms, etc. No oil = big issues. $$$

What else is wrong? The HST pump was spinning backwards and sucked un-filtered oil, and had pressure where suction was expected and vice versa. Probably not a huge issue as the HST's are tough.

Any thing else? Well, since you mentioned it, yes. The exhaust manifold is the intake and the intake is the exhaust when you run backwards. You know all those plastic and rubber pieces starting with the air cleaner and going to the cast manifold? They may be melted. Check that closely. I would take them off and wipe the insides clean and feel for any burns.

That it? Uh, no. The fuel injection pump was also starved of lubricant and was also put at risk of catastrophic failure. They are generally fairly delicate devices.

Ever watch NASCAR when they spin around and go backwards? The engine is going backwards for that 1/2 second to 3 seconds. The engine is pretty much toast after that and usually billows smoke about 5 seconds after shutting down and restarting. Hopefully, you won't have ruined your engine, but you could. If you even suspect you are running backwards --> SHUT DOWN THE ENGINE. In the worst case you could wind up needing a rebuilt injection pump, engine and transmission. Seriously. It can cost you a LOT of money and it only takes a few seconds.

Cross your fingers and hope you shut down quick enough.

jb

/ When is Reverse Forward? #5  
i'll agree with your oil not getting where it should, but the intake/exhaust does not change, how was it running backwards with no fuel if the exhaust was changed to the intake???

/ When is Reverse Forward? #6  
how was it running backwards with no fuel if the exhaust was changed to the intake???

And wouldn't the fuel tank have eventually overflowed? ;)

/ When is Reverse Forward? #7  
i'll agree with your oil not getting where it should, but the intake/exhaust does not change, how was it running backwards with no fuel if the exhaust was changed to the intake???

Go out to your shop where you have a spare engine and rotate it by hand backwards (or use your imagination) and determine which valve is open just after the spark plug sparks. The physical orientation does not change between the camshaft and the distributor any more than it does between the camshaft and the fuel injection pump. Diesel fuel injected, piston compresses, fuel burns, open INTAKE VALVE. Guess where the hot gas goes next as that valve opens?

No, they don't run well backwards as the valve timing is all goofy. They don't normally run at all backwards.

/ When is Reverse Forward? #8  
And wouldn't the fuel tank have eventually overflowed? ;)

We should all get some old engines and run them backwards to produce fuel. Great idea:D

On the serious side, Thanks for the input John Bud. Had this happened to me I doubt if these points would have crossed my mind right away.

/ When is Reverse Forward? #9  
This is a new one for me... never expected such a thing! Interesting bit about the NASCAR cars, too.

I've heard about snow-machines with engines that will run either in forward or reverse orientation. Engine actually stops forward operation whenever you shift transmission into reverse and runs in reverse.

AKfish