Harley Power Rake in the Mud

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #1  

BeeHawk

Tractor
Ford 8N
Has anyone used a Harley rake (tractor mounted) in wet, muddy conditions? I need to get into my new yard with one, but I fear that I'll be waiting for months if I wait until the ground is completely dried out. And I want to get the ground prepared, seeded and strawed ASAP. However, I don't want to ruin the yard, or the rental equipment, by doing something stupid.

Any thoughts?

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #2  
I fear that I'll be waiting for months if I wait until the ground is completely dried out. And I want to get the ground prepared, seeded and strawed ASAP. However, I don't want to ruin the yard, or the rental equipment, by doing something stupid.

Any thoughts?

Months?! its only march right now. I see you are in ohio so perhaps end of april to beginning of may is the best time ? you wouldn't want to work in the mud, it just gonna clog everything up. Plus if you get stuck in the mud, what the point ? You need semi-dry soil to be able to do anything. grass germinates better in warmer weather anyway so it best to wait at least another month or so depending on your soil conditions.;)

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #3  
WAIT! Working up wet ground is not good for most plants. You will pack it and make it lumpy. Grass is best planted in the fall. I know how badly you proably want your lawn in, but you have the opportunity to take your time, get your grade perfect, and kill every weed that is currently seeded in your yard.

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #4  
I am with radioman, let it dry out. Or the other option is to do it the old fashion way.

I am also ready to do some work but for the time it would take to fix the yard is just not worth it to me. I will be waiting awhile.

Shane

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #5  
I'm in Ohio as well and we just had our first 70 degree day and I was antsy to do stuff outside too. We are in SW Ohio and the ground conditions have been great, but not dry enough to do any type of field work. We have another place in west central Ohio and its probably 3-4 weeks behind SW Ohio as far as soil moisture go.
I also have a Harley Rake and have used it under some very wet conditions, I wouldn't get it out now to do yard work at either place. If the mud is tacky on the tires- that's still a little wet but you will see a noticeable difference with running it in the morning vs afternoon on a windy sunny day. I think Harley had a video on there website and they show it being used in tacky soil conditions.
Bottom line- you will do more damage right now, compact the soil in your yard, regret the time and money you have thrown into a project at this time.

You will see a vast improvement in soil conditions between today and late April! Plan on doing your yard before May for better results.

Good Luck!!

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #6  
Has anyone used a Harley rake (tractor mounted) in wet, muddy conditions? I need to get into my new yard with one, but I fear that I'll be waiting for months if I wait until the ground is completely dried out. And I want to get the ground prepared, seeded and strawed ASAP. However, I don't want to ruin the yard, or the rental equipment, by doing something stupid.

Any thoughts?

Not trying to be a smart @ss... but if you do; what you're saying you'd like to do - have your wife get a video.

It'll be a great clip on Youtube!

(My grandma used to say; HOLD YOUR HORSES!) :)

AKfish

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #7  
I've tried the harley rake a couple of times in the mud. Didn't have much effect. Got stuck once. If the mud has any long grass in it it'll wrap around the drum and build up a smooth surface. I had better luck doing a pass with the tiller and then a second pass with the harley on the fluffed up dirt.

meat: Tilling and the harley rake

meat: Tractor update

/ Harley Power Rake in the Mud #8  
Farmers in the field today in central Indiana. Might just be dry enough!!