edge a pond

/ edge a pond #1  

cchoate

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3430 HST
I 'm kinda new to using a fel or backhoe. I would like to use my b7500 to edge or even enlargen my 1 acre pond. Is a fel capable of digging down around 2' for edging or could I go even deeper with it? I know it will take some time to enlargen with a fel, but the guy who will use a dozer wants as much $ as it would cost me for a new fel.

/ edge a pond #2  
Is the pond dry so you can get into it with the tractor and FEL?

Otherwise, I don't understand how you could work on dry land (the bank) with the FEL (or a dozer) and move material (the bank) back to enlarge the pond. The FEL pushes on the dirt, and seemingly would push most of the bank into the pond. BUT, maybe that is what you are trying to do. Fill us in with more of the situation and the problem.

I used a back hoe (Bobcat excavator) to widen and clean the silt and muck from the edges of a pond and even then, could not reach out very far. But pulling the bank back and making the pond bigger was no major problem.

/ edge a pond #3  
A year after we put our .25 acre pond in I had my excavators come back to cut the banks down ~18", they used a D4 dozer and did the job in ~3 hours for less than $200. They moved about 300 yards of material, this would have taken me 100 hours using my L3710, FEL and box scraper.

Either your job is much more extensive or your excavator is extremely high priced.

Your job does not sound doable with a compact and FEL.

/ edge a pond #4  
Perhaps you should talk to another contractor. You might try to find someone with an excavator rather than a dozer for existing pond work. A good operator with an excavator can probably do the work you are referring to in half a day. In my neck of the woods, half a day for an excavator and operator generally would run around $300. All but the smallest of pond projects are really beyond the scope of compact utility tractors.

/ edge a pond
The pond isn't dry enough now but it usually will drop to a point where I could get to the bank and not lose much in the pond. Last year was a dry one and the pond dropped enough for me to put in a 36' bridge accross one corner. Wish I had the tractor then. Thanks for the advice though, it's been helpful. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the hours add to the tractor.

/ edge a pond #6  
I hope that when you get a chance, we can see some pics of the tractor and the pond. Perhaps a before and after the pond work comparison photo?