How to use a dozer

/ How to use a dozer #1  

ColorMeGreen

Tractor
JD4400
I've rented a Komatsu d41... about the size of a Cat D-5. I'm not seeming to move dirt as fast as I thought. I am trying to shave off about 3 feet of dirt in an area 75x100' onto another area of the same size... leveling it all. Is there a right or wrong way, fast or slow way. Thanks in advance.
Jeanne

/ How to use a dozer #2  
Depending on your soil conditions, you could tilt the blade and plow rows first to "loosen" the dirt. If your trying to move it a distance use the same path everytime it will help minamize loss. This should help.

/ How to use a dozer #3  
If the dozer has rippers on the back, they can be used to loosen the soil before you run the blade over it. If not, perhaps try to make afew passes over the area with the blade angled left or right pretty hard. This way you will not be pushing alot of dirt ahead of you, but will be loosening up the dirt for the next passes when you do.

/ How to use a dozer
Been using the rippers, they go down about 2'. Sure is fun to make the old diesel grunt...

/ How to use a dozer #5  
Have you ran a dozer before? Anyone can drive a dozer/but operating a dozer is a lot different/ getting the blade to do what youwant it to do,takes lots of experience to get a feel for the blade etc.

/ How to use a dozer #6  
Is this machine a newer one? If so it is direct drive and that will determine how best to operate it.

If it is direct drive you need to make a long shallow cut (no more than 3" at a time in 1st gear. Then once the blade is full shift to 2nd to carry the load to where you are spreading it. If you are not carrying the dirt far just stay in 1st. Dig a slot 1 machine width wide to the desired grade. Then dig a second slot approximately 1/2 a machine width over. After the second slot is at grade remove the center section. This has been proven in mines to be the fastest way to move material with a dozer and will make best use of the power angle tilt blade on the machine.

I recently ran a D41PX Avanse/BOSS in some extremely heavy and compacted clay and did not have a problem loading it up. It is all in technique.

JT