Tractor Documentation

/ Tractor Documentation #11  
I thought the whole idea here was to be able to get out on that great stress releiver called your tractor. And that doesn't include such structured activities as keeping track of every use involving your tractor. The only permanent record that I want to keep, are all of the completed projects that I have accomplished with my tractor.
Enjoy your tractoring, its still one of life greatest little unstructured pleasures.

/ Tractor Documentation #12  
Doh!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I'm more than a little embarrassed here. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I've been a Palm Pilot user and fan for years now and never even considered that as an option. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif What a great idea. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

Even if, like me, you don't have the Excel spreadsheet function you could just enter whatever you do on the day you do it and transfer it to a spreadsheet later. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif I'd sure use the same word/caption to start each comment to make searching easier. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

In my case, I'd use "4200" to start each listing. For today, an entry something like "4200 - 8.7 hrs. - BH stumps" for logging 8.7 hours on my John Deere 4200 MFWD using my JD model 47 backhoe to dig up tree stumps. I'm going to start doing that right now. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'm sure I'll always remember to give you all the credit for this, too. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tractor Documentation #13  
Well, this is giong to sound Flintstonian after the Palm Pilot post, but we also write the installation date on our automotive filters, etc, with permanent marker. I suppose that would translate to hours with tractors /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

My buddy has one of those Palm Jobbies, and I'm trying not to get pulled in, even though it is very tempting. I still think PC's are a passing fad, like smokeless powder /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Tractor Documentation #14  
My wife gave me one of those PIM devices for Christmas two years ago. Don't remember what brand. I messed with it for a couple of days trying to get it to do something useful. No luck. I boxed it back up and put it in my desk drawer.

I gave it to my son this past Christmas. I knew I could find a good use for it if I waited long enough.

/ Tractor Documentation #15  
Mike,

I just use a hard bound ruled note book from one of the office
supply stores. I have one for the truck, tractor, and kayak. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

For the tractor, I log the date, starting engine hours, what I did for
the day, a questimate on the hours on a particular job, any
maintainence, fuel fillups, troubles, problems and/or lessons learned.

It does help to go back and check on things. Since most of what
I write down is about working on cleaning up the property so we
can live on it, the log book might be interesting one day to my
kid or grandkid(s). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The book already has grease, diesel
and water stains... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later...
Dan

/ Tractor Documentation #16  
That is the classic 'farm job hazard'. If you so much as open the front door, you are liable to step in some kind of various animal maneuer, or get grease/rust on your hands/clothes.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"can live on it, the log book might be interesting one day to my
kid or grandkid(s). The book already has grease, diesel
and water stains... "

/ Tractor Documentation #17  
MikePA,

I use Excel for my log. I print a copy and keep it beside the tractor. I try to write down everything I do. then at my leasure, I transfer it to the Excel File. This lets me have seat time even when it is late at night and all there is to do is run my favorite tractor **** site (TNB!) and update my maintenance/experience log. I tied to attach my Excel File, but TBN just doesn't like it. I would be glad to share it.

Have fun and keep on tractorin'

/ Tractor Documentation #18  
"I tied to attach my Excel File, but TBN just doesn't like it. I would be glad to share it."

I tried this a while back (Excel file for filled tire weights). As you mentioned, you cannot attach an .xls file on TBN.
You can attach a .zip file though...that's what I ended up doing. So, you'll have to compress the file (zip it) using Winzip or equivalent, then post it. Folks who want to view it can right click the link (the "attachment" just below the poster's nickname) and "SAVE TARGET AS" which will download the zipped file to their hard drive.
Try this with a picture in the Photos forum...it's easy.
Of course, with a zipped Excel file, the viewer will need a zip program (again, Winzip or equivalent) and Excel on their computer.

By the way, the instructions above are for Internet Explorer. If you're using Netscape, Opera or other browser; you'll have to figure it out...should be similar though.

/ Tractor Documentation #19  
Here's a zipped file attachment..it's the Excel file giving weights for filled tires.
I should have attached this to the original post...

<font color=red>By the way, a .zip file is harmless, but the file or files within may not be. Always...always virus scan before unzipping. If you've set your zip program to automatically execute the files upon unzipping...I strongly suggest you disable that option.
I also suggest no one attaches any file to TBN (or other BBS) that contains macros, .vbs files or .exe file even within a zip file. Size wise, macros, .vbs and .exe may still be too big to attach (200Kb maximum). There is also a potential for virus transmissions!</font color=red>

/ Tractor Documentation #20  
I paint little symbols on the side of the engine hood to document the various things I'v destroyed. A little explorer for my wifes fender, little fence posts for ones mowed down (sort of like a tally), A telephone for the fiber cable along the ditch, and a little skunk. Pew. Don't run over skunks.

JRPoux