Tractor Documentation

/ Tractor Documentation #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
What, if anything, do you use to document when and how you use your tractor? Something that wold include the Date, Hours Start, Hours Stop, Task, etc.

/ Tractor Documentation #2  
mike,
i dont use anything, but if i did i would use mircosoft excel. this way yo could keep track of everything you stated; date, hours, task, etc.

/ Tractor Documentation #3  
Maybe a trucker log book might be of a help..not unless you want to document on your p/c.

/ Tractor Documentation #4  
"What, if anything, do you use to document when and how you use your tractor? Something that wold include the Date, Hours Start, Hours Stop, Task, etc. "

I keep a small logbook on the work bench right by the tractor. I log date, hours and comments (i.e. Grease job, oil change).

PC is OK, as long as you actually remember to log your work/maintenance after doing it. Although I love Excel, I think it's overkill for the task.

/ Tractor Documentation
After I posted, I recalled something I use in my cars and trucks, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ataglance.com/store/shop/viewProduct.cfm?productid=167>At-A-Glance Auto Record Book.</A>

Excel would be good, but my problem would be remembering to record the usage after I came in from tractoring.

/ Tractor Documentation #6  
Mike, we keep a small wire bound notebook (3"x5", 4"x5"), in the glove compartment of the cars to record gas, oil, maintenance. Had the same for the brush cutter, recording tanks of gas, until I decided it was unnecessary. Will probably start a book on the tractor, whenever and whatever it ends up being. Hoping for Orange.

Mark - ME

/ Tractor Documentation #7  
Sounds like a notebook on the tractor or in the barn would be perfect. If you love having everything on your PC, you can always copy the info over to Excel whenever the mood strikes you. Just remember to take the notebook back out to the barn when you're done. One other thing I'll suggest is keeping your notebook notes with a pencil instead of a pen. They never dry out or freeze up in winter. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tractor Documentation #8  
How about one of the Palm-type devices? Some come with a pocket-PC edition of Excel which could be imported into the desktop version, if you wanted. Just a thought.

/ Tractor Documentation #9  
MIKE: strange u should ask such a question. i thought i was the only one that did such a thing(releived) mine is not very deatailed, just date used, task and app. time run. keep it in note book and then transfer to ZIP DISK when i get a chance, also log maint. grease, oil , fuel, parts. and cost. put it on ZIP DISK CAUSE I don't truct hard drive no more/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Tractor Documentation #10  
I use a regular notebook and keep it in my garage next to the tractor. Fill in date, maintanence done, hours, materials used and comments. I have done this with all my previous equipment and it helps me when it's time to trade or sell it.