B2910 easy to tip on hills

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #1  

Grunge

Tractor
Kubota/B2910
Well, I put a lot of hours this weekend on the new B2910. However, today I was bush hoggging on some hillside and I have to say this tractor seems to be alot easier to tip over then the big International I used to use. I think the spread was more and the center of gravity a liitle lower.The dealer was supposed to have put some ballast in the tires but forgot to in his haste to deliver tractors for this 3 day weekend. Anybody else have this problem? Does the ballast help?

Gary

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #2  
Ballast will help some, but remember, for every lb leaning off the high side, there is a lb leaning off the low side (but the high side weight is further away from the pivot point, your down hill tire). In this situation, filling the tires is generally a bit better than wheel weights.

The best thing that I have found is widening out your track (width) as much as possible. And keep any adjustable loads (mower, fel, etc.) as low as possible.

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #3  
I spent the entire weekend brush hogging some very steep terrain and found the 2910 very stable on the hills. I have R4 tires that are not loaded. However, I also had the FEL mounted. I think you just need a little more seat time - to become more comfortable on the tractor. I think as your confidence builds - you'll be amazed. The 2910 is like a mountain goat!

Jeff

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #4  
The 7500 and 2410 have a spindle axle which allows you to considerably widen the rear wheel track. Does the 2910 have this? My 2410 is quite stable without ballast when hogging if I set the rear wheels to the widest position.
I tell you--none of these compacts are solid stable--that is why they got seatbelts and a ROP--better make use of them. One time I nearly rolled the 2410 when I hit a hole that had washed out in my ditch bank in tall grass. I quickly turned downhill and that arrested the roll. I only had the MMM installed. Another time it got really dicey and I had the FEL and the boxblade on, I dropped the box and the FEL. I may have had the FEL to high that time. Be careful. J

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #5  
Trescrows,

I have a question for you that probably belongs elsewhere but I will fish anyway. As I see from your numersous posts you have both a BX2200 and a 2410. All things considered - if you had to give one away which would it be? Obviously they both have different strengths and weaknesses but if you had to get rid of one? I'm very curious.

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #6  
You're right. If you have adjustable wheels, you can "dish" them out. I did this with my Cub and it widened the stance from about 54" to almost 7 feet. I did this after nearly tipping it over several times. Admittedly, it looks a little strange at first, but it would look stranger upside down!

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #7  
The 2710 and 2910 have fixed axle lengths, unlike the 7500 and 2410.

Load the tires, and go slow. Keep the loader as low as possible too.

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #8  
We did some measuring a while back and found that the tire width of the 2910 is about identical to the 7500 at its full out position.

Jeff

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #9  
yeah, but the 7500 is shorter, lower, and lighter thus it is equally stable to the larger B tractors. My 2410, I think due to larger tires is a bit wider without very much increase in height so may be a tad more stable than the 7500. My early impressions of the 7500 being unstable were primarily a misconception on my part as to what constitutes a stable tractor for my needs.
I think the bottom line is proceed with caution, I thought if they (2910) had the spindle axles you might could widen the stance even more, oh well, spindle axles have their drawbacks too. J

/ B2910 easy to tip on hills #10  
Kubota has a whole lot of 7500's, 2410's and 2910's out there. And I'm sure there have been a few accidents involving those models. But the key word is few, or Kubota wouldn't still be selling these models. What it really comes down to is the operator and how much experiance they have gained. And relative to the fact that hopefully most of that experiance didn't include bad habits. We all have room for improvement. And I for one really enjoy when some old salt passes along their experiances that can improve my operating habits in a safer manner, and or more effeicenciently.