Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #1  

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
Just wondering the opinion of shutting down the tractor while loading debris and rocks into the FEL bucket.

This weekend had the task to rip up pavement, came out in nice big chunks then used a sledge to break them apart in the bucket

The load time was about 10 min I left the tractor running thinking that restart would burn more fuel, wear the starter etc, but by the same token putting hrs on the clock.

Wondering the common practice and opinion regarding leaving it running vs. shutting down for 10 min+-.

Carl

Attachments

• 47-153573-Dcp00391.jpg
    47-153573-Dcp00391.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 181
   / Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #2  
I just leave my tractor run,but i believe this is purely owner preference.
Don't see either way being the wrong way.

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #3  
My opinion would be based on recent useage of the machine. If its useage has been light or its cold, let it run. If your tired and you want to talk to the girls, shut it down. Where'd you get this working on the weekend idea? Experience with batteries has taught me that it takes better than 24 hrs on the charger to restore a dead battery's acid so it will float the hydrometer's bulb again (bulb sinks in water, floats on acid due to its density). Wish I had a B21!! SteveV

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #4  
Doesn't make a lot of difference, as long as the engine is warmed up. For me, I don't like to listen to the engine running while I am doing something else. Can't hear the birds sing, etc. I would shut it down. If the task takes longer, then no reason to burn fuel or, as you stated, add hours to the meter. Enjoy, whatever.

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #5  
During cold weather..removing snow..I let her idle about coffee cup worth..15 & 20 mins.

Looks like you got the right tool for the right job.

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL
Steve,

I usually let it run when cold, but sometimes shut it down.. Interestingly, it takes about 2x the time to load the bucket when you shut down, as there are distractions, like honey will you do this.. as well stopping for breaks to take some photos.

As to working on the weekend this all started out when we talked about moving an old azelia to widen an area, and she said wouldn't this look nice if this area was grass too!!

Pavement was 3-4" thick in places so gave the B21 (and me) a good workout then a shower for both.

Carl

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL
beenthere,

Like listening for those pileated woodpeckers - haven't seen any yet, but have pair of baltimore orioles that make some good music.

Thomas,

Is it still snowin up there /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Carl

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #8  
Carl, Thanks for asking this question. I was thinking of posting this question myself. I've been told by many mechanics that idling a desiel is bad for it, but I know starting the tractor all the time is not good for it either. Thanks for the answers. Carl, that is one heck of a nice tractor you got there!!! Kent

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #9  
I go both ways depending on the situation. I will lean toward letting it run especially if it's cold. However, if I'm hooking up something to the PTO, it is always off.

Remember the "tach time" at idle is a lot lower than actual time. Idling for 10 minutes, will probably only get 2 or 3 minutes on the tach.

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #10  
Except on a tractor with an electric clock, such as the BX . Every hour that the key is on results in one hour on the clock. I'm sure that 20-30 hours of the 370 on my tractor is a result of idling while rock picking, warming up, etc.