FEL Digging Technique

/ FEL Digging Technique #1  

Ron_NY

Tractor
Belarus 525
I could sure use some suggestions on the best way to dig with the FEL. Not looking to make huge holes, max 2 feet deep.

Whenever I lower the loader into the ground, even in soft dirt, the front end of the tractor lifts right up. This happens with my newly installed digging forks, as well.

I can get down into dirt by moving tractor forward (slowly), but I am concerned about the amount of strain I am putting on the hydraulics.

Tractor is 65HP Belarus 4WD, with Hardy ST85 loader - 84" bucket.

/ FEL Digging Technique #2  
If you don't already have one, get yourself a toothbar. There are many threads on TBN about this wonderful attachment for digging with your bucket. Just click on 'Search' and type in "toothbar" (and, after you read those, do the same thing with "tooth bar" /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). I hope this helps.

/ FEL Digging Technique
The loader manufacturer offers digging teeth, designed for the loader (which I purchased and installed). There are 10 teeth, each 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel, that are shaped and drilled to fit the pre-drilled bucket. The front end of the tractor will rise up as soon as the teeth touch the ground. Thanks for the suggestion, but I suspect that the tooth bar discussed in the forum would have the same result, lifting the front end.

/ FEL Digging Technique #4  
You need to get the "feel" for how sharp an angle, and how much down pressure to apply while digging. If you are applying to much down pressure, you will lift the front end. Start going foward slowly, with the bucket angle just a little foward of level, and gently lower the bucket to engage the ground. You also need to slowly curl the bucket up as you dig. It will take a while to get the hang of it, just got to keep practicing. Also as stated in the previous post, if you don't have a tooth bar, get one. The difference is like night and day.

/ FEL Digging Technique #5  
Here are the instructions on 'Peeling and Scraping' from my New Holland owners manual. I am not sure if it is relevant to what you want to do or not.

Attachments

• 47-153786-Peeling_and_Scraping.jpg
    47-153786-Peeling_and_Scraping.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 232
   / FEL Digging Technique #6  
Spencer,

Nice tip on scraping. I was wondering if I was doing it correctly.

/ FEL Digging Technique
Spencer - Thanks, this gives me a good idea of the correct technique. Now, just have to find the seat time to practice, practice, practice. Thanks again. Ron in Central New York

/ FEL Digging Technique #8  
RON; u have to curl your buckek to actually dig and sometimes u have to move forward slowly. the hardest part is breaking the top layer of sod and dirt. just pratcice , u will get the hang of it.depending on the type of soil and the condidtion of it , u may want to take little bites .

/ FEL Digging Technique #9  
Ron,

Also make sure your FEL is not in the float position. I used to dig that way and its much harder. Use float to get the FEL on the ground and then center the joystick boom control.

Peter

/ FEL Digging Technique #10  
Ron - I agree with the practice, practice, practice. Several years ago when I bought some land, my neighbor told me to take his small Ford tractor over and move/level some dirt I needed to move. It was only about a 25 hp tractor and the dirt was well packed down and hard. Well, after about an hour he came by to see how I was doing. I had hardly made a noticable difference. He hopped on the tractor and dug/moved more dirt in 10 minutes than I had in that hour. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif It's all in technique.