Neither a borrower or a lender be?

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be?
When I started this post I should have included the story of the one nighbor who has borrowed my tractor/equipment in the past. He is like your brother-in-law. The equipment came back in better condition that when it lift. He used my JD 550 tiller and took a wire brush to each tine and cleaned the entire unit and greased it as well. He treats everything that way. With him I have no concerns about letting something out. But the other guys are the problem. Our tractors and equipment are expensive and they wear out eventually. Each hour that the post hole auger is in use is one less hour that it will serve me. I don't mind helping out especially as one of the posters said if it is for one of my "senior" neighbors. But there is a reason rental yards charge for the equipment. The equipment has a finite life. What also irritates me a bit is that the borrowers typically have motorhomes, campers, two new cars/pickups in the yard, yet don't have the means for their yard equipment. If I lend out some equipment so someone who can help me out then I don't object.

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #12  
<font color=blue>...the borrowers typically have motorhomes, campers, two new cars/pickups in the yard...</font color=blue>

Here's a perfect opportunity... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

The next time one of "these" neighbors come to borrow something... at that precise moment look them in the eye and ask point blank... "when would be a good time... you could swing by and use their motorhome to go on vacation for a week... or use their motorboat to enjoy for a weekend or two with your family...etc..etc.."

Hopefully, they will take the hint... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

and if not... enjoy your next vacation in that nice motorhome and boat you don't own... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #13  
There are four things I will not let anyone borow; my pick-up, my horse, my tractor, and my chainsaw.

Over the years the requests have been less frequent. In the beginning when I was asked if someone could borrow something I would always ask them when would you like me to come over and help you. I came with what they aked to borrow.

I enjoyed helping them out and if anything was going to break I wanted to be the one who broke it. Now most of the requestes are can you help me with this or that.

This method saved me from having to say no now. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Randy

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #14  
I don’t loan my tractor for most of the reasons others have stated. One reason that has not been mentioned is insurance. Unless you carry commercial (read $$$) insurance you are setting yourself up for some real liability issues if someone or the tractor were to get hurt.

MarkV

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #15  
That is what makes the difference. I have 4 bros and a sister. I have 3 who if they damage something they will replace or repair it. My brother in law is 6' 2" and he will do anything he can for my wife and I. I have no problem loaning most anything to them. I have a good friend who does the same. One bro and I are very different in personlalites but what he can or can't do. I can generally can. and vice versa.

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #16  
I pretty much have a no borrow/no lend policy. My neighbor is always offering to loan me things (most of which I don't need). I just politely thank him, but never take him up on it. I would NEVER loan the tractor to anyone. If it goes, I go!!! Simple as that. I have tilled, bush hogged and done snow removal at the neighbors place.

If I ever do borrow anything (had to borrow my brother's water pump before I bought one), it goes back clean, completely functioning as I got it, full of gas, oil etc....and most importantly....immediately after I'm done. I can't stand people who borrow things and then let them sit until you have to ask for them back. When you are done with something....TAKE IT BACK!!! (Just a pet peeve of mine /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

Kevin

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #17  
I will loan out hand tools, garden tools and even tractor implements to practically anyone I know without much thought.

But when it comes to my tractor, lawnmower, chainsaw or my guns I can count on one hand (and have some fingers left over) the number of people who can borrow this stuff. These items cost too much, are easily abused and are generally unappreciated by those who don't own them and if they owned them they wouldn't be asking to borrow mine.

I have a couple of neighbors who can use anything I've got and I never give it a second thought. Those are very rare.

If someone (other than the above mentioned neighbors) asks to use my tractor, I politely ask them if I can do the job for them. I'll even offer to drop what I'm doing to accomodate them. Same thing with my lawnmower. If theirs is in the shop and the lawn needs mowing I'll do it for them once. If they ask to borrow my chainsaw or a gun I just tell them I'm sorry but I don't loan them out. Then I feel like a heel for a month.

When it comes to borrowing I'd rather pull a two bottom plow through hard clay with my teeth than borrow a tractor to do it.

TBone

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #18  
Like most of the other guys have already mentioned, I hate the idea of asking to borrow something from someone. I'll go out and buy it first, which is what I should've done in the first place!

When I do find myself in a situation where I might need to borrow something (the store's closed, mine's being fixed, etc.), I ask the person if I could rent it from them for a short time. I offer to pay a reasonable hourly rate, although it probably is lower than a rental place would charge.

By doing this, it does two things. 1) It tells the person that I respect their property, and 2) it will help guarantee that I'll return as soon as I'm done with it.

In most cases, the person refuses to accept any payment, probably because experience tells him that the item will be coming back in better shape than when it left. And it always comes back with an added thank you, which coincidentally usually is the person's favorite beverage! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

As far as loaning out my property, I will only do that with people that I know very well. I do usually mention that I expect the item to be properly cleaned when it's brought back, because that's the way it was when they got it. Of course, this DOES NOT apply to my golf clubs! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #19  
I loaned my PHD to almost a complete stranger and borrowed his landscape rake at the same time .... my PHD came back better than he got it --- I had cracked the boom where it connects to the top link on the tractor - he welded it for me ... being welder challenged I really appreciated that! and he delivered the phd back to me when we swapped back. I had never met the man before we did that ... but since he is a member of this group on TBN - how could I go wrong? thanks again DaveH.
I loaned a friend a new extension ladder -- he had it for about 2 years - I didn't need it during that time and knew where it was if I did -- he finally returned - a new extension ladder --- said "hey I borrowed a new one, and I'm returning a new one" so far I'm on the up side on loaning stuff -
mike

/ Neither a borrower or a lender be? #20  
It is interesting that most of us seem to share the same thoughts on lending our equipment. My brother, one neighbor, and my mechanic all have free use of anything I have. Anyone else can borrow a shovel, or if I like them, I'll do the work for them with the tractor, chainsaw, etc.
The same dynamics must in play here in regards to people with all sorts of things (toys) wanting to borrow tools. The 3 people I would lend to no questions asked have probably borrowed a total of five things from me in the last five years. Meanwhile a neighbor with a worn out garden tractor just bought a 6500 dollar ATV. I can't wait until he hints about me mowing his lawn when his old tractor is broke again.I'll offer him 4000 for his ATV and offer to take him tractor shopping!!!!
Will