help

/ help #1  

newman_farms

I have a opportunity to purchase a 1993 case IH 595 4x4 it has a loader and a 65 hp diesel engine. The thing I am not sure about is that it has 3775 hours on it. Is the tractor almost ready for a overhaul? or is just abut halfway through it life?
Thank you in advance.

/ help #2  
Depends on how it was maintained.

Check the engine oil and hydraulic oil, coolant. Do they look fresh?? Is the sheet metal straight or scratched and bent? Can you talk to the previous owner? If he is a idiot, that will tell you much.

If it was maintained I would think it would be 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to overhaul time.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!:)

/ help
thank you very much for takign the time to help. I will take you coments and see where it leads me.

/ help #4  
I agree; just depends on how it was used and maintained, but 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to an engine overhaul sounds about right; maybe even less than halfway.

/ help #5  
Take a close look at the paint job. If it's been repainted theres a good posibility the owner is trying to cover up something. Look real close at the castings on the block, rear end and front end for cracks and oddities which can cause real cash problems. dammed oil pan can cause problems too. . . My dad say "A fool and his money soon part" so take your time and look close, in doing so watch the owner at the same time and watch his reaction in doing so. If he's real nervous and will not look you in the eye . . .get out!

/ help
thank you for all the information. It is at a dealership. They are telling me that was the dealer demo and tractor.

/ help #7  
I consider 1khrs just broke in.. and 4k or less on a big diesel.. shouls stll give you at least that many more, if it was maintaned good.

soundguy

/ help #8  
There's no carved in stone rule on how long a diesel engine will last. Good care and MOST will go 6000 or 7000 hours, some even more than that. The particular model tractor you mention has a reputation as a good tractor. I've seen a few in my area that have spent 10,000 hours on the farm as a "chore tractor" being used and abused. They hold up really well.

No obvious problems, no bad leaks, nothing missing, I'd be willing to trust that you'd get another 3,000 or 4,000 hours life with nothing bad happening.

/ help
thank you very much for the reply!!! good to hear!! completly agree with the 3 types of men!!