Getting soil ready for planting

/ Getting soil ready for planting #1  

Knight

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I'm not really sure which attachments to use to convert a beautiful established lawn into a garden area....... area is 40' by 40'

This is what I have for attachments.
1. Backhoe
2. Box grader with scafires
3. Middle buster

Now I have access to a tiller, but I would have to ask a friend and go pick it up in a trailer, etc.. Do I really need to use a tiller or can I prepare the soil with what I have?

What order should I go in?

/ Getting soil ready for planting #2  
Get the tiller......

2 to 3 passes and you will have garden ready soil.

/ Getting soil ready for planting #4  
   / Getting soil ready for planting #5  
Yep, rip-n- till.

/ Getting soil ready for planting #6  
I've had pretty good luck with just the tiller... just takes 3 or so passes. Go longwise/crosswise/longwise and you should have it. Might actually be less tractor time then a bunch of closely spaced 'rip' passes with the middle buster.

/ Getting soil ready for planting #7  
I'd get a truckload of compost, spread it out. Then middlebust it. If you have sandy type soil, it's likely, if it's dry when you do this that you will not need a tiller. There is a place called Gem Dirt here that sells leaf compost pretty cheap.

My 50x60 area is all raised boxes with lot's of compost. I have no need for my tiller anymore.. I do start it a coupla of times a year for grins..

/ Getting soil ready for planting #8  
one word - tiller. No if and or buts. Better at prep, working it, and finish.

/ Getting soil ready for planting #9  
If grass is growing, spray it first, then bust and till. Otherwise, grass will pop up for quite a while in new garden.

/ Getting soil ready for planting #10  
I've had pretty good luck with just the tiller... just takes 3 or so passes. Go longwise/crosswise/longwise and you should have it. Might actually be less tractor time then a bunch of closely spaced 'rip' passes with the middle buster.

I agree with charlz. you don't need to rip the sod first. I put in a garden for my wife last year where we had lawn. I tilled the area she wanted and waited a couple of weeks then spread manure-compost over the area and tilled it in.