Borrowing Neighbor returned

/ Borrowing Neighbor returned #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I started the post last evening regarding the issue of lending tractors/equipment to friends, relatives, neighbors. etc. The responses were fairly consistant and that most of us agreed we would rather do the job for them rather than lend out the equipment. Of course there were exceptions such as for a limited number who could be trusted to return the equipment in as good or better condition and those with some experience using the equipment. I mentioned in my post that I had "stretched the truth" a bit to the neighbor who wanted to borrow my post hole auger. I told him that the pto shaft was broken and that I had not repaired it yet due to the cost. The pto shaft was broken but I had it fixed. The neighbor returned today asking if I had any immediate plans to repair the shaft. He offered to install the shaft if I purchased it. Wow, what a guy. I told him I was a little short of cash and would have to wait. He didn't seem to happy with my response. Then I offered to sell him the unit with 12" and 18" auger for $450.00 which is about half the price of a new one. I thought that maybe I could borrow it from him and take my cash and by something else. He quickly dismissed the purchase idea and said, "I would never use it enough to justify the cost." This is the same guy who has used it twice before and needed it again. I also reminded him that there is a rental yard only 5 miles down the road that will rent a JD 31C auger for about $75.00 a day. He thought that was too much money. My neighbor probably represents the extreme when it come to being cheap and inconsiderate. But after today my policy is not open to negotiation. Either I do the work when it is convenient for me (October seems about right) or everything stays in my yard.

/ Borrowing Neighbor returned #2  
Borrowing neighbor: "I would never use it enough to justify the cost."

TCowner: "Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't even justify the cost of the new PTO shaft for it. That's why I'm trying to sell it 'as-is'".

Just a thought... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Borrowing Neighbor returned #3  
Stick to your guns TC. It sounds like loaning stuff to this guy is just asking for trouble /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Borrowing Neighbor returned #4  
just tell him flat out! "got to pay to play". Either you go rent one and pay money, or you pay money to me! Just cause I am your neighbor, doesnt mean I have to do stuff for free. What has he got in exchange? He help you out with anything?

/ Borrowing Neighbor returned #5  
I lent out my digital camcorder to my father-in-law. $200 later in shop fees it now works again! Now I'm strictly against loaning anything! If someone needs help with something I'll do it myself and if they offer me something in return I usually take it. For instance, my neighbor bought a couple of tons of gravel for our driveway and I bushhogged his 1/2 acre field for him. The gravel was $500 and he just asked that I bushhog for him? Sounded like a deal! Then I used my backhoe to dig up a stump and the next day he came over with steamed shrimp and cocktail sauce! I'd rather be the one to break my equipment. That way I'm only mad at myself :)