Old Gilson/Ford yard tractor question

/ Old Gilson/Ford yard tractor question #1  

benefishall

Tractor
Ford 1220 HST
Hello,
I'm new to this site and to tractors in general and have recently purchased an older tractor to get around on my newly acquired acreage.
I bought a 1979 Gilson/Ford (picture attached) yard tractor from a guy off Craigslist that seems to run and operate nicely however, I always like to replace all fluids, hoses, belts, etc... when I buy things.

So... my question is: On this model I see a transmission/transfer case/differential (thingy) that has a fill and drain plug on it. Can someone please tell me what type of lubricant this takes?
I've heard so far - gear lube, differential fluid, transmission fluid... Nobody seems to know for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. GREAT SITE!!!! ;-}

John Keating

Attachments

• P7010087.JPG
    P7010087.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 8,319
  • P7010089.JPG
    P7010089.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 1,730
   / Old Gilson/Ford yard tractor question #3  
Call your nearby New Holland dealer and give him the model/serial number of the tractor; he will give you the correct type of lubricant.

/ Old Gilson/Ford yard tractor question #4  
Nice looking old Ford. Something about that Ford blue color makes a nice looking machine. I agree the dealer should set you straight on what oils you need. Best of luck and keep her running!

/ Old Gilson/Ford yard tractor question #5  
Here are a few pics of my old Ford. Just put a new battery in her and the 16HP twin Kohler fired right up. The seat is pretty bad but the rest of it is in real nice shape. It even has the pto driven impeller for the bagger...

Attachments

• Ford Lawn Mower 013.jpg
    Ford Lawn Mower 013.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,957
  • Ford Lawn Mower 015.jpg
    Ford Lawn Mower 015.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,681
  • Ford Lawn Mower 016.jpg
    Ford Lawn Mower 016.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 647
  • Lawnmower 9-10-2007 005.jpg
    Lawnmower 9-10-2007 005.jpg