Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks

/ Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks #1  

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
Inspect your hydraulic cylinder rods for paint before extensive use, as I now have a second leak on a cylinder which is due to O rings missing during the paint process. They are supposed to put o rings on the retracted cylinder to protect the paint/seal interface on all cylinders.

My LF bucket developed a leak at 30+- hours - no O ring and paint was on the rod which causes dirt/dust to be embedded in the seal as it passes back an forth, eventually leaking.

Well, I didn't think to check the BH, but sure enough, paint on the swing cylinder right side - it's leaking.

So, check out each cylinder on your units to make sure no paint is on the shafting, and clean up with some paint remover or mild steel wool - I prefer paint remover so to not damage the shafting etc.

My unit just passed 70 hrs and about 18 months, and since it's a B21 TLB ( but non commercial use) and has a 12 mo wty.

Time to talk to the dealer, or just buy a seal kit, but this is a case of Mfg error I believe.

Carl

Attachments

• 47-155316-BHRtLeak+PaintNoOring.jpg
    47-155316-BHRtLeak+PaintNoOring.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 102
   / Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks
Another Shot Left Side Cylinder

Attachments

• 47-155317-BHLeftNoPaintNoLeak.jpg
    47-155317-BHLeftNoPaintNoLeak.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 110
FEL Left Front - Needed a Seal Kit - No O Ring

Attachments

• 47-155319-FELLeftLeaked-NoORing.jpg
    47-155319-FELLeftLeaked-NoORing.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 119
FEL RF - O Ring - No Leaks

Attachments

• 47-155320-FELRFLiftOringNoLeaks.jpg
    47-155320-FELRFLiftOringNoLeaks.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 108
Last Photo RF Bucket Cylinder No Leaks - O Ring is there.

Attachments

• 47-155321-FELRFOringNoLeaks.jpg
    47-155321-FELRFOringNoLeaks.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 113
   / Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks #6  
Thanks carl I never checked mine will check it tonight is it hard too due the seal
Thanks ed

Ed,

Getting it out and on the bench is the hardest part, after that just take care to keep the area clean. Rod removal sometimes needs special tools to remove the end cap (or a large pr of pliers) as well a leather faced vise to hold the rod to remove the piston nut so seals can be replaced.

Not a difficult job at all, just oily..

Carl

/ Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks #8  
I know it is a bit of a pain, but when we paint our heavy equipment, we rub the rods down with a thin layer of axle grease.. just a thin film. Then paint away. The first time the cylinder is used, the grease just strips away on the dust seal. Also prevents any surface rust from forming. We also do this if we have equipment that is going to sit for a month or so with any exposed rods.

Soundguy

/ Painted Hyd Cylinders = Leaks #9  
Thanks Carl I know I will have too do one soon will start getting tools now.
EDT