It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #11  
Re: It Ain\'t Really Four Wheel Drive!

<font color=blue>How do I post two pictures in one reply?</font color=blue>

You don't, exactly.
crazy.gif

Whatcha can do, Hans, is to grab some basic picture editing software and piece some pictures together into one montage. Save as a single picture file and you're good to go.

Keep in mind that the size limits apply to the whole file.
wink.gif

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive!

1. swear DID THAT
2. raise all implements above ground level BRUSH HOG WAS ALREADY AS HIGH AS IT WOULD GO, AND STILL ON GROUND, SINCE THE GROUND BEHIND THE TRACTOR WENT UPHILL
3. switch to 4WD (which is 2 wheel drive X 2, as in most vehicles) if you have that option, and consider reversing your direction of travel ORIGINALLY IN 4WD AND COULDN'T GO EITHER DIRECTION
4. step on rear differential lock (now you have 3 wheel drive)DID THAT
5. try using FEL to inch out, if you have that option DID THAT, AND WITHOUT IT, WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN OUT
6. drop heavy rear implement (e.g., brush cutter), and pull it out later DIDN'T TRY, BUT I DON'T THINK I COULD GO FORWARD EVEN WITHOUT IT. FRONT TIRES BURRIED AND AGAINST 2 FOOT BANK
7. consider increasing traction with rocks, etc. under tires; consider letting a bit of pressure out of the tires; consider removing wheel weights, etc. PICKED UP FRONT END WITH FEL AND PUT ROCKS AND BRUSH UNDER FRONT WHEELS, BUT COULDN'T GET ENOUGH TRACTION TO GET OUT
7. if you've gotten to this point without results, swallow your pride, and go get help, with a truck, tractor, etc HAD TO GO GET THE WIFE AND OWN UP TO BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY TO DRIVE ACROSS THE CREEK IN THESE CONDITIONS. SHE PULLED ME OUT WITH THE PICKUP, WITH HELP FROM THE FEL
8. find a beer, or 2, then hose down tractor and implements; vow not to get stuck again (until next week) DON'T DRINK ANYMORE, TOO TIRED TO WASH THE TRACTOR, BUT VOWED NEVER TO GET STUCK AGAIN.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #13  

<font color=blue>Most 4WD trucks are really 2WD, also</font color=blue>
I have never understood why, when you buy a 4 wheel drive truck, you have to order limited slip axles as an option. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Just a way of making the base price look lower I guess.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #14  

They do that because 90% of people never take thier "4wd" vehicle off road to begin with. I've got some pictures of my jeeps on my yahoo photos page that show me almost rolling over :) Good thing the rear is locked though.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #15  

My grandfather always drove 2 wheel drive trucks. And he worked in the oil fields. He drove the bulldozer. He parked his truck high and dry and did the dirty work from the seat of a D-5 or 6 or TD-14. His view on 4 wheel drive, and especially posi-lock 4 wheel drive was, "It'll just get you 200 feet further than anyone else can get to you to pull you out." Some truth to that in the oil fields.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #16  

When I lived in Nevada there was a few times I went out in the desert and pulled four wheel drive trucks out with a '67 Olds and a few other cars I had. It was a lot of fun...especially the part were the owners would beg me not to tell their buddies!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #17  

OK, Manganos - if you have a penchant for rolling vehicles, 4WD is just going to get you further off road before you have a chance to do a 360, and therefore harder for some one else to come rescue. We have a guy on this forum who seems to have rolled his tractor a number of times, and you 2 need to meet. Now, don't get me wrong, sounds like you're having fun, but for me, I'll just be content to view the pictures you post.
As to 4WD in vehicles - without a "limited slip" rear differential, I can't see much use. My pick-up's have that set-up, and it works - most of the time. Have you folks seen the stats on the "new" Mercedes sports wagon - basically a civilized version of their military vehicle. Over 500 ft-lbs of torque, & lockable front, rear and center differentials - a recent reviewer (car mag) waxed a bit overly enthusiastic and said it could be used to pull Hummers (maybe) and Abrams tanks (obviously the reviewer has never seen an Abrams) out of the mud. So, I saw one yesterday in the parking lot of my kid's high school - seems some misguided(rich) parents bought their daughter one "because she thought it looked real cool" - per my son, but now she's considering trading it in because it sits too high off the pavement for she and her buddies (in tight skirts) to easily step into it. I give up.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #18  

let me get this straight! we have a high school kid driving around in her own MERCEDES sport wagon? where oh where did i go wrong?

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #19  

You see that a lot down in Mexico. The locals are forever towing the Yankees out of the sand in the desert with some old '60s vintage car with V8 and the tires bled low.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #20  

I looked at one of those Mercedes at the auto show. Around $85,000. Built like a freakin' tank. When you slam the door you get a really satisfying thunk. They probably spent millions to tune the harmonics of the door to get that sound. :)