It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #21  
Re: It Ain\'t Really Four Wheel Drive!

They may even have tried to copyright the sound ( read: Harley davidson /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif )

As for ground clearance.. I like a decent amount of it.

Soundguy

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #22  

A 2-wheel drive is really 1-wheel drive. A 4-wheel drive is really a 2-wheel drive.

For most low traction surfaces, "4wd" is fine. If you notice, making a turn in "4wd", you can feel the tractor binding up. If you set the Diff lock, it either really binds up, or it just pushes straight ahead.

Real "4wd", with both the front and rear locked, can really come in handy. But, 98% of the time it is not needed, and makes a "vehicle" hard to steer. It puts a lot of pressure throughout the drivetrain, especially when turning. That's one reason why "Air Lockers" are popular on 4wd trucks and Jeeps that really get used. Most of the time you don't need them, and it's easier to drive with them turned off. But, during the 2% of the time when you want them, they're there.

I've been with guys out rock crawling, and watched them pop an axle on pretty easy stuff, when they tried to make a tight turn. You really do not want true 4wd most of the time.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #23  

1. My Kubota has two pedals. One for the front differential lock so you can use it for turn assist, and the other for the read differential. I can push them both with one heel. If chained to a big enough tree I can dig holes with all four tires.

2. Concerning trucks, The limited slip is a $60 option for a rear wheel drive truck. It gives you twice as much traction for a low cost and does not add to maintenance expence nor hurt mileage. Good value. It will be on every truck I buy. I have 228,000 miles on my Ford now and will trade at 300,000. I don't think a 4wd would have lasted as long at so low of cost to maintain.

Limited slip is a great option.

JRPoux

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #24  

Limited slip on my Dodge was a $293 option. I wish I could have got it for $60.

Eugene

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #25  

I think the AWD system from AUDI, the real quattro not the fake one on the audi TT, is the system that should be used. Power to the wheels with the most traction.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #26  

<font color=blue>I think the AWD system from AUDI, the real quattro not the fake one on the audi TT, is the system that should be used. Power to the wheels with the most traction. </font color=blue>

As an owner of an Audi A4 Turbo Quattro, I'm inclined to agree. It's just unbelievable. But.. how much power can you put through this system.. does anyone know? How reliable in a tractor-type of application?

Bob

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #27  

I know it's not an equal comparison but the biggest engine I know of that is attached to quattro is a 320HP 420NM9don't what that is in Ft LBS) of torque. My guess is that the system could be adapted to a tractor. In cars the quattro system is very reliable. Some of the supporting parts maybe less so.. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #28  

<font color=blue> My guess is that the system could be adapted to a tractor. In cars the quattro system is very reliable.</font color=blue>

Then why on earth don't they? Whoever first pulled it off correctly would own the market for compact utility tractors, wouldn't they? I'm always having fun taking off from lights, on glare ice, and watching the "4-wheel-drive" trucks behind me just sit there sliding sideways. There's simply nothing ever I've driven that can compare to Quattro. I'd buy it on a tractor in a heartbeat.

Bob

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #29  

Ft-lbs=.7382Nm

Therefore, 420*.7382=310 ft-lbs

My guess is basically just the cost. And robustness of the system. Tractors get beat up more than Audi's. Audi spent a lot of time and money developing their system. A tractor manufacturer would also need to spend a lot of time and money to get an operational system. Passing it on to the customer would be difficult for some customers (self included, after all, I'm the only customer I really know) to bear. Audi had the advantage of already having ability to charge for gadgets because they were well known as a luxury/premium manufacturer.

Nick

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #30  

<font color=blue>Then why on earth don't they? </font color=blue>

While it would be nice to have, I have yet to find a situation where all wheel drive would have helped me get unstuck. About the only time I've gotten stuck was in muck deep enough to bury the tractor to the axles. In those situations, it would just end digging 4 holes instead of 3. I just dont think it would be worth the extra expense. May as well just go with a tracked vehicle.