It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #31  
Re: It Ain\'t Really Four Wheel Drive!

<font color=blue>While it would be nice to have, I have yet to find a situation where all wheel drive would have helped me get unstuck.</font color=blue>

Have you ever:

1) Started to lose traction? Reached down to engage 4WD? Then had to step on the diff lock pedal? Isn't that a nuisance?

2) Found yourself on a road and have forgotten to turn off the 4WD?

3) Actually gotten stuck, and wondered if one more wheel turning might have made a difference?

Why go through all of this if a superior technology were available for a reasonable price? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bob

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #32  

<font color=blue>Reached down to engage 4WD? </font color=blue>

With the terain and ground conditions here on my farm, the only time my tractor isn't in 4wd is when I am on the road. As far as forgetting to take it out on the road, it's gotten to be a habit, just like putting my seatbelt on. I also have the feeling the technology wouldn't be available at a reasonable price, either purchasing, or repairing. Like I said, it would be nice, but for my situation, just an unnessary expense.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #33  

If you want true four wheel drive. Without the worry the worry of having both axles locked all the time. Maybe we should be looking at the original hydrstatic drive. Where engine only turns hydraulic pump, which in turn supplies hydraulic pressure to individual hydraulic motors driving each wheel.

Or you could go with engine turns large generator with independant electric motors driving each wheel.

The makers of large earth moving equipment have been using these systems for years. Even railroad engines use the latter system. I beleive the above mentioned manufacturers were using true hydrostatic drive systems long before the compact tractor industry borrowed the phrase.