It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
It Ain\'t Really Four Wheel Drive!

I stuck my B2710 for about the 7th time today. This time I was not only stuck in the mud, but with the brush hog tied on, I was wedged in the swail of my creek bed. A foot or so of dirt washed out so it was deeper than I expected.

While I was trying to figure out a way to get it out, I took the time to cuss Kubota for putting that "4WD" sticker on the back. This thing, and most tractors, are NOT 4WD, as all of you know. Its really 2WD, and maybe 3 when the foot is on the differential lock.

Boy, I coulda used real 4WD today......

I had to dig with a shovel where the bush hog was wedged in there, and the wife had to pull me out with my Ford pickup (2WD) while I pushed back with the FEL. No FEL and I'd still be in there.

Since I was in the creek, I had to drive on terrain that none of our vehicles had ever been on. My wife's Yukon XL is 4WD (well, you know....) but I didn't want to scratch it up and get thorns in the tires, so it was my old truck or nothing. Fortunately we got it out after about an hour.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #2  
Re: It Ain\'t Really Four Wheel Drive!

Next time try dropping the mower and going back to get it when you have the tractor out. I've high centered my 8N with the implement a few times. I've never had to do it with my TN65 yet. I got the TN65 stuck in the ditch when the box blade hooked on the edge of the pavement but I had enough room to maneuver back and forth until I could come out at a 45 degree angle.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #3  

Most 4WD trucks are really 2WD, also.

Eugene

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #4  

Last month we stuck a rental John Deere 4600 4x4 with a loader and mower. Down to both axles and no bottom to the muck. Didn't have a sledge along so there was NO way to get the mower off. Strange land my buddy has, it a little south of Sulpher Springs, TX and I think his land is underlain with springs. He suggested since we were going to need a wrecker to get the Deere out we might as well try winching with my truck first. My Ford diesel promptly buried itself. The front ends are ungodly heavy. We hooked the two stuck vehicles together and the winch just popped the Deere out. I was amazed. Then hooked the Ford to a big oak and with a side pull sucked it out also. Friend ordered a winch the next day.

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #5  

It is 4wd, but (especially on the front, as you have no front diff. lock), the torque applied to either wheel is always the same. If one wheel will spin with 1 ftlb of torque, the other one only gets 1ftlb of torque (even if that leads to it doing nothing, as in your case). So... One key is to work to maximize the amount of torque received before a given wheel will spin. This generally revolves around increasing the effective ground pressue on the spinning side (either dig out the belly of the tractor, or add material to the rut. Simply put, you can't get traction without weight on the bottom of the tire (However there are several exceptions to this rule of thumb). FELs can really help in situations like this. Either to lift up the front end of the tractor to improve the under conditions, or even to "claw" your way out of the mess.

Good luck!

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #6  

The order of actions when stuck seems to be:
1. swear
2. raise all implements above ground level
3. switch to 4WD (which is 2 wheel drive X 2, as in most vehicles) if you have that option, and consider reversing your direction of travel
4. step on rear differential lock (now you have 3 wheel drive)
5. try using FEL to inch out, if you have that option
6. drop heavy rear implement (e.g., brush cutter), and pull it out later
7. consider increasing traction with rocks, etc. under tires; consider letting a bit of pressure out of the tires; consider removing wheel weights, etc.
7. if you've gotten to this point without results, swallow your pride, and go get help, with a truck, tractor, etc
8. find a beer, or 2, then hose down tractor and implements; vow not to get stuck again (until next week)

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #7  

Hans, what brand and model winch do you have?

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #8  

funny thing about 4wd vehicles, be they tractors or trucks! u get them wheeles off the ground or in something non substantial, AND THEY BECOME no wheel drive./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #9  

Warn 9000 pound. It is setup so it slides into any receiver hitch (provided you have run a power cable to that end of the vehicle.) I added a 4x6 inch of box steel the front of the truck as an additional crossmember and a receiver is welded to the top of that. This was the first time we really used it for something besides a long piece of cable and found out the roller fairleads (sp?) are really important to have because they let you pull at a pretty good angle.

Attachments

• 47-155724-winchoff.JPG
    47-155724-winchoff.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 164
   / It Ain't Really Four Wheel Drive! #10  

Winch on. (How do I post two pictures in one reply?)

Attachments

• 47-155725-winchon.JPG
    47-155725-winchon.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 181