KIlling Weeds

/ KIlling Weeds #11  
Ask the sod company what not to spray.

/ KIlling Weeds #12  
Happy Easter,
I have a piece of land 100'x300' with a ton of nasty weeds. What's the best way to kill these weeds for good and prepare the soil and area for laying sod. You will never kill the weeds for good I've tried applying Atrazine, but the weeds reappear each year. I want to make sure i kill all of the weeds and prepare the ground before putting all of that expensive sod down. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Once again I will reiterate....you will never kill the weeds for good. However if you work up the ground for laying sod...then lay your sod.....GENERALLY mowing will keep most of the weeds out. Make sure you keep your sod healthy and well watered and it will GENERALLY provide a barrier to choke out most weeds.

Spraying weeds in grass.....2-4D will kill most broadleaf weeds if they poke their nasty heads up through the grass. After your sod is established there is a variety of pre-emergence type of chemicals that will help.

/ KIlling Weeds #13  
Hey folks,

Just to throw some more into the mix.

Round-up (or other brand name for glyphosphate) will kill just about everything that is green. If I remember correctly it disrupts the plants photogenic processes -- plant starves to death. It is absorbed thru the leaves and if accidentally gotten on something can be washed off with dirty water (it binds to the dirt and breaks down -- heard of phosphate in fertilizer?) if done immediately (before it has a chance to be absorbed and dry). I have been told that a human could drink the Round-up spray with no ill effects (I don't think I want to try it personally).

2-4-D is the main ingredient in Weed-B-Gone (Ortho) and most other weed killers and weed-n-feed products. It only will affect broadleaf weeds and plants. (doesn't kill grasses and narrow leaf plants). I have always thought of it as a broadleaf growth hormone -- the weeds grow themselves to death. You can not use it on newly planted grass, the grass need to have been mowed a few times. 2-4-D was one of the ingredients in Agent Orange and is pretty nasty stuff. It remains active in the soil and will effect plants that germinate -- don't spray a patch and then expect to plant a vegetable garden.