New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #1  

ill-machy

Tractor
Still looking but will probably go green
Bought a used Tiller. Make a long story short, guy that sold it said it was fine and they used it last year. I bought it on his word (Not again). When I got it, the main shaft was bent beyond being able to use it. I called and emailed with NO answers. Anyway, took it apart, had the shaft straightened, reinstalled. Now I try it and it makes some awful noise. Turns out the bevel gears are both missing a couple teeth. Any ideas on buying 540 PTO bevel gears?

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #2  
What he meant to say was "we used it last year up to the point that we broke some important stuff and it quick working"

sorry to hear you got taken.. I hope the price was good enough to allow you to fix it without putting too much money into it..

Brian

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #3  
sorry to hear about the ill purchase. Do you have any pics of the bevel gears ? Perhaps you meant the whole gearbox that needs to be replaced ?

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #4  
I bought a Howard (I think) Model HR-6. I also bought mine used, also in Illinois. So far 3 years ago and working fine. Sorry to hear of your issues. I found a parts manual on the internet. Don't know if it would help with what ever you have. What model is yours? I also heard right or wrong that Howard made these for rebranded John Deere Tillers years ago. Might be able to get parts through Deere if that is really true. I can't find the US site anymore, but you might try here HOWARD The manuals that do exist on this site are in english.

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE
THanks Maxfli. I found an old Howard dist in Crystal Lake. Am waiting for gear prices now.

Just need the Bevel gears. Is there a source for standard bevel gears?

Too bad these gears are 13 tooth and 23 Tooth. Boston and most off the shelf gears are 1:1, 2:1, etc... No match.

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #9  
There have been discussions here on TBN regarding Howard tiller's as being "rebadged" with green paint and the John Deere logo.

I'd check with your local JD dealer and see if they can "crossmatch" your Howard model with a JD tiller.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ New to me Howard Tiller is BROKE #10  
Howard was bought by Kongskilde, and is still actively marketed. They are distributed in the US and Canada by the Canadian subsidiary, who can be contacted as shown below. They should be able to steer you to a dealer who can provide parts.

Kongskilde Limited
680-710 Wright Street
Strathroy, Ontario
N7G 3H8, Canada
Kongskilde.com
Contact Information
Phone: (519) 820-9917
Email: mail@kc.kongskilde.com
Brands: Kongskilde, Howard