Bucket repair

/ Bucket repair #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
The bottom edge on my B21s FEL bucket is not straight any longer. It has a little bit of a smile to it.

Any suggestions on straightening it out.

I have thought about clamping it to a large piece of angle iron?

My uncle suggested running a bead of 7024 rod over the top to draw the metal.

/ Bucket repair #2  
You'd have to prop the angle up say, 1" to allow the lip to be "overstraightened" as it will want to spring back.

And you'll need a very strong clamp.

The welding idea may work.

/ Bucket repair #3  
Just thinking...If you have a length of chain, wrap that around your bucket and use a racheting chain binder, (hopefully you have a couple for transporting your tractor already), across the bucket opening to make the smile go away. Probably use a little angle iron under the chain to protect from gouging.

/ Bucket repair #4  
Short of welding a brace inside,you could try a bolt on cuttting edge to reinforce the bottom of bucket. I put the bolt on edge on mine. Bolting the edge will suck some of the edge back into place. Suppose a toothbar could do the same. I've also used my porta power to straighten things . plowking

/ Bucket repair #5  
So, you get it straightened, then whats to stop you from making it smile again?:D

I'd suggest you cut off the present cutting edge and straighten the bucket. Then weld on a much heavier [say 1/2 in. x 4-1/2 in.] cutting edge. That may give you the strength you need to keep from smiling.:D

/ Bucket repair #6  
Good points Egon and Plowking. Both methods would strengthen the bucket bottom from doing it again. I did not think of that.

/ Bucket repair #7  
I have heard someone on this board saying they had a small smile as well and they bought a toothbar and attempted to put it on and it was tough. With some persuaion and coaxing they got it on and it straighten it out the smile. From what I understand the tooth bars add some strength to fix the bottom lip. maybe its something you might want to look into ?

/ Bucket repair #8  
I did the same to my bucket. What I did was lift the bucket aprox 1' off the ground and place my 3.5 ton shop jack under it. I then feed a chain under the jack and up around the top of the bucket and hooked it together. Then just used the jack to bring the cutting lip up. Do it slow and you may have to go past strait to get it back where you want it.

Chris

/ Bucket repair #9  
I'm not sure about tooth bars, but moldboards have no rigidity to correct a bucket edge. I lke the chain idea but typical 3/8" tow chains are only good for about 3 tons. A good heat treated frame chain on the other hand could be rated as high as 14 tons. You also need to be careful that you don't bend the top of the bucket before the bottom moves, if you are rapping the chain around the middle. Maybe it would be better to connect/hook the chain on the top of the bucket sides (cutting in a small hole if necessary) and running along the bottom for the full width of the bucket.

jmf

/ Bucket repair
I was thinking about adding additional material to the bucket after straightening. Either a 1/4 to the whole bucket or a thicker cutting edge to the front. Which to you think would be better?

Thanks for all the suggestions.