BX2200 or B7500

/ BX2200 or B7500 #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Can anyone giveme some input? I have narrowed my search down to the B7500 and the BX2200, but am a little unsure which way to go. I have about two flat acres to mow currently, but have intentions of moving to at least four within the next couple of years. Is the B7500 that much harder to maneuver than the BX2200? My property is mostly open, with few radical courses around trees. The worst will be limbing trees to 7 feet. With the B7500, at least the ROPS folds down.
I really like the comfort of the B7500, the cruise control, smoother ride, etc., but I am afraid that I might regeret a larger tractor. I plan on purchasing a FEL and a 60" MMM with either tractor, and am sure a rear tiller, rear blade, and other implements will be in order in the not so distant future.
I believe the larger tires will be more helpful with a load in the bucket, or with a rear implement attached. Is this incorrect? I really did not notice a vast difference in turning radius with the larger tires (or tractor), as the tractors are really not that much different in overall size, other than height.

/ BX2200 or B7500 #2  
I was in the same position as you are a few months ago. If you do a search for B7500 vs BX2200 you will find you are not alone in trying to decide. Guess the question you need to answer is will you do more mowing or FEL work. In my case I do 90% grass cutting and 10% FEL work, so the BX was the way I went. I have 2 acres with trees to go around. Most people agree the BX cuts better then the B7500. Some people think you should go for the bigger tractor so you will not limit your options in the future, guess the B7500 wins on that one. I have a 48" tiller and the BX does a great job with it. Also have a 54" snow blower, I hope to get some use with this winter. Either way you can not go wrong they are both great tractors. Guess you could also could consider the BX22 if you think you will ever use a back hoe, now that will really keep your options open. Good luck.

Tom

/ BX2200 or B7500 #3  
I think your deciding factor will be the percentage mowing versus the other work. The BX is a handier mowing machine. As far as the practical differences with FEL work, there is not much difference. Both machines are roughly the same power (I know there are specification differences, but how much real difference is there?) for PTO purposes. The B7500 does give you more tractor height, the lack of which I find is the biggest drawback with 3pt implements on the BX. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

/ BX2200 or B7500 #4  
In my honest opinion, I think the B7500 is built much better than the BX series. The framing is solid! The power steering unit is a much better design. The 7500 is an all over better built tractor than the BX. I find the BX to be a very good tractor, but as far as design and durability, I think the 7500 is much better.

/ BX2200 or B7500 #5  
I purchased the BX2200 w/ FEL and 60"MMM with turfs to maintain the 2.5 acres my house sits on as well as 2 additional acres of undeveloped property. I use the MMM to mow my yard - mostly flat with several large pecan trees and some smaller "other" trees with a fenced in area with a playground set. It takes around 1hr15m to 1hr30m to mow it all. I've used the FEL to build out flower beds, haul and spread two dump truck loads of top soil and flower bed mix without any problems. I use a 42" box blade for rear ballast and have maintained about 180 ft of gravel driveway with it. The other 2 acres I own, I use a 4ft rotary cutter I found used (needed some minor repairs - seals, etc.) to keep it cut down. The BX2200 does a great job handling it. I have recently begun rotary cutting the 3 acres next to my property to help out the owners. I've used the BX2200 to move a 22ft bay boat and a 27ft travel trailer (very slowly on concrete/gravel) without a problem. All in all, my experience wth the BX2200 (just reached 50 hrs) has been very good. It is a very capable machine that produces a great finished cut with the MMM, handles a 4ft rotary cutter and has a very useful FEL. It's been so useful, even my wife agrees with the purchase now. I can't speak of the 7500 as I never looked at them. I was debating on the B2410 vs the BX2200. I liked the size of the B2410 but the tasks I need a tractor for pointed me to the BX2200 (and honestly, so did the price difference). Do some searches on this board, especially in the Kubota sections - I found tons of information and experiences to help make my decision.

/ BX2200 or B7500 #6  
If your main job will be mowing, especially around obstacles, the BX2200 will be better. I thought you could get foldable ROPS, but might be mistaken.
I wanted a bit more versatility with 3 point attachments and had a bit of loader work to do, so I went with the B7500. Actually, I wanted a B2410 but couldn't justify the extra money. Looking back, I could have got by with the BX200, but have no regrets with the B7500. I think it is a beefier machine all around, including the engine. If you decide on the B7500, I recommend a rear finish mower over the belly mower. It will cost less, be easier to install and remove, and give a much better cut. The belly mower on the BX2200 is a much better design compared to the B7500 (IMHO)
Good luck.
Dave

/ BX2200 or B7500
Thanks, Dave. Not really an obstacle around, so that is why I even considered the B7500. I do have to say that I feel a little awkward even looking at a tractor of the B7500 size, when my yard is really not that large (just under 2 acres), but we all know a Bota is not a Bota for 5 or 10 years. Whichever one I decide to purchase, they will probably use the FEL to put me in the ground when i'm 100, at least 65 years from now. Besides, a move is in order in the next couple of years, and then, 5 acres will be the minimum.
I have pretty much set my sights on the B7500, but I have heard so many pros and cons on the ground contact MMM it uses, that again, I am puzzled. Yes, I will do about 90% mowing, but I just do not think the BX offers the strength, resale, or features the B7500 does.
I know several people who insist on ground contact mowers, and they are pleased with the results. I can't help but think that a suspended MMM, like on the BX, will be more likely to leave high and low grass when approaching or leaving a ditch or depressed area, as the tractor wheels dictate the mowing height (less the anti-scalps). Obviously, with a ground contact mower, anytime the casters hit a hole, the mower is more likely to scalp, but in a ditch situation, I think the B7500's mowre would give a more uniform cut. Do you find your RFM difficult to maneuver oround obstacles with the BX? Although it is a rear implement, mowing is usually at a quicker speed than lets say grading, and I would think it would be more difficult to get close to trees, beds, etc. because of the swing-out factor.
Thanks,
Bob

/ BX2200 or B7500 #8  
I bought a B7300 about five years ago and the only regret I've ever had with it is that I didn't go bigger. I am on ten acres, and use it mostly for mowing (but I'm not doing finish work with it - have a riding mower for around the house). But I also have a backhoe, blade, ripper, and am dreaming of a tiller. So my recommendation is go bigger unless there's a good reason not to.

/ BX2200 or B7500 #9  
robertm,
I have not seen anyone highlight the difference in the FEL specifications. According to Kubota sales brochures...

The BX2200's LA211 FEL max lift capacity (bucket center) and max breakout force is 460 lbs and 950 lbs, respectively.

The B7500's LA272 FEL numbers are 595 lbs and 1003 lbs.
The B7500's LA302 FEL numbers are 660 lbs and 1120 lbs.

To my surprise, the BX2200's LA211 FEL had a slight advantage in a few areas over the LA272/LA302:

(1) maximum height (71.3" vs 69.7'/69.5"),
(2) maximum reach at the maximum height (29.9" vs 26.8"/25.4"), and
(3) a higher GPM hydraulic flow rate (5.5 vs 3.6/4.4) with corresponding...
(4) faster lift speed to maximum height (2.9 sec vs 3.1/2.5 sec).

(Well, okay, I see that the LA302 is faster than the BX FEL).

Kelvin

/ BX2200 or B7500 #10  
Bob,
I know what you mean about feeling awkward cutting a lawn with a big tractor. I felt the same way for a while. But now when I look at my tractor, it actually seems small. You'll get used to it.
Mowing around obstacles isn't that difficult with the RFM. After a few hours you get a good feel how to maneuver around them. For corner areas, I simply back up after swinging the turn. I have a drainage ditch that is too steep for a tractor. I mow that with a push mower and then clean up around the trees and such with the pusher.
Obviously, a lot of people buy the MMM for the B7500, but there seem to be a lot of complaints of removal / installation and adjusting hassles. For me, the RFM works great.
Good Luck,
Dave