Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building?

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #11  
You never know...plan for the future

you might consider plumbing a waste line for a future comode...it costs very little.... surrounded with some sand and covered with duct tape you can pour a thin layer of concrete over the riser...in the future if you decide to add facilities it is easy to chip down to the pipe and add a closet flange...water service and a vent stack can be added through the exterior...

adding just the waste riser and a stub out can save a lot of labor down the road and only requires a little PVC and some fittings...

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #12  
I'm thinking of builiding a large shed/roof to hold mine. I like buck12 idea for building a pallet to custom fit each implement. I'm also thinking that I could just buy the pallet forks that can be attached to a FEL. That way I can drop the implement on the pallet in the yard. Since it's custom built it would hold it securely. I could then turn the tractor around, pick it up with the FEL and pallet forks and store it.

I also have a small trailer (8x14) for carrying my tractor. So another thought that I had was to build the roof so that I could just store the trailer and tractor. Then I could put the palletized implements on the trailer and if the trailer was under the roof then it would all be out of the rain.

Larry

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #13  
I would put a lean-to on the outside and store the implements out there. You can back up and pick or drop.
24' X 30' isn't that big. When you start putting things in them they shrink. ;) I have a 40' X 50' with a 15' center peak, 12' outter walls and it is almost full. I added a 12' X 24' lean-to, open on each end, with outter wall for my 3510 Branson. My implements except hoe attachment are stored outside.
If you can find some pallet racking (like warehouses use) it makes exellent storage and is plenty strong.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #14  
Outfitting a storage building,?!,well,shelfs,and a lotta nails drove in to hang things,that will work out for about 6 months or less.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #15  
I agree with the poster about adding a lean-to on the outside for the implements. You only dealing with, what was it, 720 sq ft.

I would build a long work bench along at least the 30 foot wall if not two walls. Above the work bench I would add two or three shelves 1 foot in depth that run the whole length of the workbench. You don't need to engineer the work bench to withstand an 8.0 earthquake, just strong enough is okay.

A steel I-Beam overhead would be nice also. Some insulation and heat for the winter is essential depending on location.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #16  
Thanks everyone - lots of good tips. Does anyone know where I can get used pallets large enough to fit under some of my larger implements, e.g., the 6' rotary cutter?

The home depot near me has a huge stack of pallets out behind the store. Everytime I've asked for one, they told me to take whatever I wanted. They have alot of double width pallets which are perfect for larger implements.

Craigslist is another good source if you want to get them more legit.

However, as another poster said, you don't really need pallets to move things with a pallet truck. They just need to be elevated off the ground enough to get the truck forks under them. I use $1.50 concrete blocks for this purpose often.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #17  
When I was 20, I built my workshop I was told to build it as big as I could afford. I thought ya right. 32X32 was huge, wasted space. Now I have two bays, One to store all my tools and one to work in. If your going to store your implements, inside, try parking them at a 45 deg. angle down one side with the tractor's 3 pt., it will be a lot less work. If you can, put in in floor heating,

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building?
Thanks everyone for your input, both in this thread and on others that I drew from while planning the building. Here are some of my decisions -- again, most based on feedback here on TBN.

SIZE: I increased the size of the building to 24'x35', which is all I could do given the space and cost constraints. The materials have been delivered and it'll go up as soon as the concrete is poured and cured.

WIRING/WATER: I'm running a 100 amp sub panel through 3" conduit buried 3' using aluminum (gasp! hey - it's SOO much cheaper) #2 wire. The run is 250'. I'm also running a 1" line for water (hose bib for power washer) and another 3/4" conduit to pull some ethernet cable (for a security camera) at a later date.

FUEL: Ok, this is part I'm most excited about. After reading seemingly every thread that mentioned "fuel," "gas" or "diesel," I decided to pick up a generic 275 gallon home heating oil tank. I paid $200 for one that was only a couple of years old, and Tiger (Exxon) will fill it with 150+ gallons of diesel without a delivery fee. Today I ordered a Repackaged Fill-Rite 610 115V AC Transfer Pump, Krueger Sentry Stainless Steel Direct Reading Gauge, and Cim-Tek 3/4" Pump Filter Kit from JMESales.com. The tank is vertical and stands on legs, so it it'll take up very little space in the building. If everything works out, I'll have my own little pumping station before you know it. The gasoline solution isn't as cool -- I got the Northern Industrial 30-Gallon Steel Gas Caddy from Northern Tool. I plan to keep it filled by siphoning gas out of my truck's gas tank if I can get the hose in there. If it works, that'll keep me from hauling it to the gas station and back on a regular basis. We'll see.

IMPLEMENTS: I'm still going with the pallet truck. I can't pick up many of my implements without using pallets, so I'm going to try the "get them from Home Depot" method suggested by someone earlier. Wish me luck.

LIGHTING: 3x Designers Edge Diamond Plate Pro Series Plus Shop Light — 48in., Model# L-88 from Northern Tool. I'll use cold weather T8 bulbs.

VENTING: TPI Shutter Exhaust Fan — 16in., 2840/4180/5110 CFM, Model# CE-16-DS, again from Northern Tool. Not sure how much airflow you need? Go here: Airflow Calculator.

SHELVING: There are some fantastic shelves at Lowes. These aren't those exactly, but they're close. I'm going to have 28' of these along one of the walls: Edsal at Lowe's: 3-Tier Wood Freestanding Shelving Unit

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how things go.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #19  
G'day when you lay your power conduit run a couple of extra strings up it just in case later on you want to run something else up it you never know what you may want and you can use the string to pull a rope then so on:). Good luck but biggestprob is they are never big enough:D

Jon

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #20  
:) Send some pictures as you get it built please