Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building?

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #1  

VAMountains

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HSTC
After years of waiting I'm about to buy a 24' x 30' steel storage building to store my tractor (Kubota 3430HSTC), implements and misc. "outdoor" tools. I'm having a concrete floor poured so I can use something on wheels to move and store the attachments out of the way.

I'm looking for tips on attachment storage and mobility, general storage (shelving), protecting the concrete pad (it will be sealed but otherwise unprotected), venting (is it worth installing a fan vent?), lighting, fuel storage and anything else I'm overlooking.

As for attachments, I've read all the threads about attachment dollies. My problem is that I have neither the time nor the skill for a do-it-yourself solution. I'm wondering whether I can store the attachments on pallets and just get a pallet truck (Northern Industrial Pallet Truck — 4400-Lb. Capacity | Pallet Trucks | Northern Tool + Equipment) to move them around. Has anyone tried this? My attachments include a 6' rotary cutter, 7' cutter bar, heavy 7' back blade, 7' rake, and more.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #2  
Not sure how much thought you have put into this, so here is what I did. Built a 30x40 last spring, its a wood post and truss structure with metal siding and roof with minimal insulation and concrete floor. You mentioned lights, so you have planned running power to the bldg. There are threads here about that subject. I ran an underground 100amp service off my house panel and put in one 220 plug in case I might need it later. Figured it was cheaper to have it done while the electrician was there. I had him wire outlets in the ceiling rafters where I wanted to put lights and bought plug-in type florescent lights. Thought it would be easier to add more lights if necessary that way. GFI plugs scattered around, two double outlets on each end where power tools and work benches located and some near the garage doors. Also put in ceiling fans, but hard-wired those. I'm in Alabama, so not too concerned with heat.

As far as a pallet truck, I checked once and it seemed pricey, but may not be more than buying dollies for each of your implements. Not sure how easy it will be to get cheap pallets big enough for some of those though. As far as lighting, I have eight 48-in two tube fixtures, two on one switch, the other six on a second. Seems adequate for most purposes and I can easily add more.

Storage, depends on how much stuff you have. You can buy premade stuff, but one of the thing I liked about the wood structure was I am able to build in stuff easier than a steel frame building. Can be done, but beyond my experience. I have more in there than I planned on, like my to-be-deployed SILs car. Can always add storage as needed.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #3  
If you haven't poured your floor yet, a layer of 1" polystyrene XPS foam under it will make you happy by controlling sweating. Also if you want to use a pallet truck you'll want a pretty smooth finish, and keep it swept. You can usually pick up a used truck for $50-75, and they work pretty well. If you aren't going to weld up purpose-built carriages for your implements, I'd say a pallet is a good-enough solution.
Jim

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #4  
As far as moving implements around, I use snowmobile dollies for my blade and now for landscape rake when they are on the concrete. 1 person can move alot with these as all wheels swivel 360 degrees. I also use them for riding lawnmower, 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, posistioning work benches, etc. Maybe a bit pricey but I find many uses around the shop for them.
Parts Unlimited Sled Dolly Set - DennisKirk.com

Attachments

• blade dolly (1536 x 1152).jpg
    blade dolly (1536 x 1152).jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 319
   / Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #5  
I have the Harbor Freight pallet jack, which was on sale and with a 20% discount I got for $150 a few years ago. Today it is the same price as Northern Tool. It has the same capacity & I bet they are nearly identical.

With a pallet jack (or truck, same thing), you have a lot of flexibility, You don't even have to put your implements on pallets -- blocks of wood will work just fine.

Personally, I consider it to be a far better solution than individual dollies. And by the time you get done buying materials and welding individual dollies, you really aren't going to save any money.

The pallet truck is useful for moving other things too. Very helpful with a gun safe for instance.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #6  
I just build a 24' x 28' stick build garage/shop. I would say to think about your layout before building (location of workbench, tool boxes, doors, windows). Also, I roughed in for a shop sink even though it may be years before I run water to the building. It only cost a few $ for a few feet of pipe and fittings. As to shelving I plan to add high shelfing for seldom used items to free up floor and workbench space. Peg board is also a great way to store some items. I leave implements outside but keep truck and tractor inside. Congratulations on the building. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #7  
As far as moving implements around, I use snowmobile dollies for my blade and now for landscape rake when they are on the concrete. 1 person can move alot with these as all wheels swivel 360 degrees.

do you find they get hung up on cigarette butts?

haha just razzing you man.. i'm just jealous, the only concrete floor i have here is in my garage which is stuffed full of "stuff"... no room for anything but a few chainsaws..

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #8  
do you find they get hung up on cigarette butts?

haha just razzing you man.. i'm just jealous, the only concrete floor i have here is in my garage which is stuffed full of "stuff"... no room for anything but a few chainsaws..

Those act as mini speedbumps to keep the blade from getting out of control:D:D lol.

But yes, with the dollies smaller wheels you do need to keep a cleaner floor;)

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building?
Thanks everyone - lots of good tips. Does anyone know where I can get used pallets large enough to fit under some of my larger implements, e.g., the 6' rotary cutter?

/ Tips for Outfitting a New Storage Building? #10  
You could build pallets to custom fit each implement.