Tractor bogging/missing

/ Tractor bogging/missing #1  

heymack

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, Ford 555A, New Holland TM120, New Holland TT60A
I have a New Holland TT60 that only has 154 hours on the meter. First, a bit of history. Back in 2007 when the tractor only had a few hours, it would randomly die in the field, but would always re-start, sometimes minutes later and sometimes hours later. The selling dealership sent a guy out with a trailer and ran it back to the shop. He brought it back a few days later telling me that the solenoid on the injector pump was the culprit. Since that time the tractor hasn't missed a beat.

Now, fast forward to last Thursday. A buddy was disking a few acres when the tractor just died on him. We let it cool down and added about 5 gals of fresh diesel thinking it may have run out of fuel (gauge showed about 1/2 tank and we could see some in the tank, but tried new fuel anyway). After adding fuel, the tractor fired right up but while driving back to the barn, it sputtered and ran like crud. I let it sit till Saturday afternoon without doing a thing. When we tried firing it up, we couldn't get a thing other than cranking. I put a new fuel filter on and drained all the diesel (around 15 gallons). Thinking back to the fuel solenoid, I contemplated replacing it, but it is a $130 part and upon further inspection, realize that the part on my tractor is the original piece, inasmuch as I can tell it has never been removed (covered and sealed in original paint, same as rest of engine). Nonetheless, I took it off the injection pump, made sure the plunger was moving freely inside and put it back on. Tractor still cranked, but didn't run. Thinking to myself, "what could keep it from running?" I decided that the sensor under the seat might be the problem so I jiggled the wires at the connector, set the seat back down and tried firing up again to which it started right up without hesitation.

Now to the problem at hand. The tractor runs great at idle, up to 1600 RPM and above 1800 RPM, BUT at around 1700-1800 RPM the thing misses, sputters, bogs, etc. making no power whatever....What the heck? It does it sitting still as well as while driving.

Any thoughts? Remember it has fresh fuel and a new fuel filter. I also bled the fuel lines, checked the oil level, radiator fluid, air filter, etc.

/ Tractor bogging/missing #2  
Did you clean out your fuel tank? Especially where the tank meets the hose, that connector can get randomly clogged...

/ Tractor bogging/missing
Did you clean out your fuel tank? Especially where the tank meets the hose, that connector can get randomly clogged...

No, I didn't clean the tank because plenty of fuel is getting to the pump. It only cuts out at certain RPM's, right at 1700, but runs very strong at 2000 RPM. The problem is extremely consistent in that it only/always misses at the exact same point in the RPM range.

/ Tractor bogging/missing #4  
Is it timed correctly?
i.e. did the injector pump skip a gear?

Sounds like it. (my first thought would have been woodlandfarm's too, but if it only dies at 1 specific rpm, that can't be it.)

/ Tractor bogging/missing #5  
Could it still be the seat switch. Is it easy to bypass, just for test purposes.
Bill

/ Tractor bogging/missing #6  
Yeah.. maybee the machine vibrates at the correct frequency at that rpm range to make that flaky switch cut out a lil???

soundguy

Thanks for the help so far.

If it were a timing issue, wouldn't it run poorly throughout the rpm range?

How do I bypass the seat switch?

Some more details. Really needing to shred some areas yesterday, I decided to give it a shot despite the problems. In the light stuff, the tractor ran fine and maintained around 2000 rpm (540 rpm pto) but when I got into the heavier/thicker stuff it would lose rpm's and begin to bog. It did this around 10 times and each time I'd feather the throttle lever and power would restore in the 2000 rpm range. Well it did it every time except the last time when the tractor died completely and never restarted. Hence, it's sitting out in the field as I type, dead as a doornail.

Whether it turns out to be a $5 fix or $500 fix, this is ridiculous for a nearly new, meticulously maintained tractor with so few hours.

/ Tractor bogging/missing #8  
Still could be fuel related and that is what I'd suspect. You could have plenty of fuel at idle or slightly above but as the demand for more fuel is created you could have a partially clogged fuel line. IMO take off all lines from the tank to the injector (including filter) and blow compressed air through all hoses. You might find a piece of crud that's only letting a bit of fuel through.

Good luck.

/ Tractor bogging/missing #9  
I agree with RWolf, but one more out of the normal, check your air intake and filter. Look for such as wasp nest or mice nest. You are sure your fresh fuel is fresh and has NO water in it? Guess all places sell a far share of water in their fuels.

Good news, the caper is solved.

After banging my head against a wall for 15-20 minutes this evening, a little light finally lit up. If you've never taken a fuel shut off solenoid apart they're pretty simple inside. There's a spring that looks like it came out of a retractable ballpoint pen and a little plunger that moves up and down depending on current or no current. Anyway, I though that maybe the plunger was stuck downward thus blocking the flow of diesel into the injection pump. I also though that if I took the plunger and spring out of the assembly maybe it would solve my problem. Low and behold it did. The tractor fired right up and ran like new all up and down the rpm range. Problem is now I cannot stop the tractor unless I stall it with the clutch....off to New Holland for a $130 part tomorrow.....yipeee!!!

Thanks again for all the help.