Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
My dream of obtaining a Bridgeport mill finally ended yesterday when I was able to bring this beauty home. I bought it from a model shop in NJ who was moving their operations to another location. Since the machine has never seen production work, the ways are in excellent shape, and spindle bearings are quiet. It is a Model 2j2 (variable speed, 2HP), equipped with a Mitutoyo DRO, Servo power feed, bijur one-shot, KURT Vise, End mill set, hold down set, R8 collet set, drill chucks etc. For me, its been a lifelong dream to have a machine as this, so forgive me if my gloating comes across. Anyway, knowing I had my TN and a set of forks, plus the trailer, I figured I was prepared to make the 100 mile trip and move it to NY. I volunteered a friend,(thanks Joe!) plus one of the employees who helped out. I bought the lifting spreader from northern tool, and a johnson bar, which made the whole job a lot easier. It was relatively easy since it was only about 15' to the loading dock, where we rolled on some steel rod, then the lift eye on the machine hooked to the forks via the spreader did the job to get her on the trailer. The final location will be my basement which will be a separate move and another challenge in the next month. For now shes in the garage, patiently waiting. Any way, thanks for letting me share.

MillMoving002.jpg

MillMoving004.jpg

MillMoving006.jpg

MillMoving009.jpg

MillMoving011.jpg

MillMoving012.jpg

MillMoving014.jpg

MillMoving017.jpg

MillMoving018.jpg

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #2  
That's quite the outfit you have there! That thing has as many uses as your tractor! How much does it weigh?

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #3  
Very cool !!
I've got a couple of Bridgeports myself just like yours.
Moved them on a trailer up to my property (250 miles) and unloaded them with my Kama just like you did with your TN. (In fact, I moved all my machinery like that.) Mine are now all leveled and trammed in ... up and running for all my little projects at the ranch. You will surely have a good time with your mill making ... well ... just about anything you want to.:)
Rob-

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #4  
Nice looking mill. I hope to own one someday to. But I don't think my tractor would be able to unload it like yours did. Congrats on the new Bridgeport.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #5  
Looks like a good Bridgeport there! I had several of them in the department that I supervised for years, and they sure are great machines. We sometimes moved the ram back just a bit, and used a 2 by under the ram on either side of the column to lift, and move them. It kept the mill from being able to swing around. Looks like you had a good set up there too. Good luck with the mill, they are lots of fun.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #6  
I picked up a smaller Bridgport with the smaller collets when the place I worked shut down. Not sure my jd1050 would be up to the task of lifting. Yours did very well! I wanted mine a little higher anyhow, so I put 4X4's under it and then used a pallet jack to move it inside the garage. The extra height is nice for a tall guy anyhow. I may try the tractor to load it when we move.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #7  
Now that's what I call Father Day's gift. :)
" gloating"...only if you show grin from ear to ear. ;)

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #8  
that is a really good machine i have a few myself will last forever , u need a good vice now.im making weel extentions for my jd2320 on mine .a good 13inch clasing lathe and u will be all set.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics) #9  
Great looking mill will be interesting to see how you get it in the basement. keep us posted with pics.

/ Moving a Bridgeport Mill with my TN (pics)
Thanks for the kind words, you guys are great. I've been grinning from ear to ear today as I walk by my garage, and eyball my new toy. As many have said these are excellent machines, particularly for a hobbiest as myself. I'm adding this to my metal shop where I've got a 10" South Bend lathe, a MIG welder, grinders, etc. Its all part of my grand plan to own every metal working tool ever invented!!! OK thats a little much, but I love working with machines, and expect to be using this for many tractor related project over the years. The TN handled this easily BTW, the BP weighs about 2200-2600lbs so its not a small item to move. I used the lifting eye that was on the machine to lift it, though there are other methods as mentioned. To move into my garage, we actually put it on the forks, lifting from below, which made me a little nervous, since its not tied to anything at that point. No problem though, and having an experienced helper definitly made it easier. For the move into the basement, I will need to remove the turret and ram, then lower through my Bilco basement doors onto a set of dollies and roll into place. It will be fun, particulary lifting with the TN. Using the tractor to accomplish tasks such as this is what its all about for me. Anyway... I'm still grinning :D. Thanks again for your replies.