790 John Deere is it big enough?

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #11  
I've got a 790 with the hydraulic shims added. I've never tried to lift a round bale with it before but it strikes me as right on the hairy edge of what the tractor can lift. And there's probably a big difference in weight between wet/dry bales, etc. I'd probably get one off a trailer or move it around, but I'd be scared of stability issues. The 790 doesn't have the widest track I've ever seen. I'd be inclined to go after a larger tractor.

Also, consider the total height you'd need to lift the bottom of the bale to get it on/off a trailer, especially if the ground's not level. No chance of stacking them two high on a trailer, IMHO.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #12  
I have a 790. It is a small tractor with a big heart. Most of the time it suprises me in a good way but there are days I am frustrated, always when I am asking way too much to begin with. It has a small wheel base and is tippy. There is always danger when pushing the envelope. We are all quick to preach safety but we must all break are own rules from time-to-time. Just like anything proceed with caution.

I have carried round bales with the 3pt on my tractor. I have not shimmed it...yet. The bales were 5 ft dry grass bales. I would guess in the ball park of 800-900lbs. I have not done it with my loader but do plan on it. For that I will put the shims in. I have seen pictures of it on here. I figure a simple lift and set on flat ground within reason at my discrepancy. Safe...debatable.

All-in-all a good little tractor with traction usually the first to go.

Attachments

• 100_2722.jpg
    100_2722.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 1,531
  • 100_3913.jpg
    100_3913.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 1,625
   / 790 John Deere is it big enough? #13  
I have baled with several different rigs all the way up to a JD336.

I pull a 2 btm plow in 3pt connection and trailer type. I have pulled a 10ft disc but I get better performance with anything smaller. I do way more with it than most poeple would say is possible. I am sure I am wearing it down quicker than most but it is a tractor for use not collection.

Some more pics anyway....

Attachments

• 100_6285.jpg
    100_6285.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 1,780
  • 100_3874.jpg
    100_3874.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 2,154
   / 790 John Deere is it big enough? #14  
The instructions that came with my ford loader on a 2120 was that the rear balast needed to equal the amount being lifted by the loader. I suspect this holds true for most loaders. The manual said to count the weight of the rear tire load plus 1.5 times the 3 pt hitch weight (to account for it's location) and that need to equal or exceed the weight to be lifted. I'll also say that with a small tractor like the 790 be very careful about a front wheel dropping into even a small depression when carrying a heavy front end load. It will pivot on the dropped tire and go over very quickly. Don't ask how I know. :D

Andy

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #15  
Another point. I also have a New Holland TN75 with over 3000 lift capacity. It is kinda spooky taking the top round bails off a trailer stacked 2 1/2 high.

Andy

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #16  
I move 4x4 round bales with a quick attach bale spear on my loader. The bales weigh about 500 pounds and I don't move them far. The tractor handles these bales fine, but I'd be afraid to try to move a heavier bale with the front end loader.
I really like my JD 3005 which is the 790 re-numbered. I have a 300 loader on the tractor and I think the lift capacity is about 790 pounds.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #18  
I have a 2002 790 with a model 70 loader, it seems real tippy on even mild slopes. Does anyone else have a similar problem and, if so, is there a remedy.

I filled my rear tires and it is no much better.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #19  
Al, sounds like you really like the tractor already and are hoping it can do what you want.

That tractor sounds like it is on the risky edge of handling round bales safely to me. If you knew the weight and make-up of the bales (wet vs. dry, what type of grass or hay) and knew it would be consistent and would never change during its usage and knew they were less than 600-700lbs consistently then, yeah, you could get away with it. Throw any variables or unknowns into that equation and I'm out.

If it were me, I would find something a mark or two bigger and heavier so that I could confidently work with those bales and have more margin for error when doing so.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #20  
I couldn't agree more! One little dip in the ground and that little tractor is going where ever the bale wants to take it. I would be looking at a JD 1070 as a bare minimum!

My brother in-law used a really nice JD 750 for one year moving round bales. Fortunately nobody got hurt but it put the tractor in an early grave.