790 John Deere is it big enough?

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #21  
Wednesday, I bought a half ton bag of fertilizer. I was able to lift it high enough to drive the pick-up out from underneath the bag to unload it with the 790/300 loader, That is THE heaviest item it will lift. Late last spring I loaded some 800-900 lb. round bales for the neighbor. It has shims installed by the dealer set in the 2350 to 2400 psi range. Lifting at the "pivot point" it will do it and feels awkward, not really what the 790 was designed to do. Heavy lifting is best left for a bigger machine. Yes, the 790 does have limits:D

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #22  
I filled my rear tires and it is no much better.

Can't seem to spell. Mean't to say "I filled my rear tires and it is SO much better. 800lbs low on the 3pt helps too.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #23  
Yeah what that green yanmar 790 will do is amazing.

Mine doesn't have a loader on it but it will pick corn

Attachments

• Misc 212.jpg
    Misc 212.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 525
   / 790 John Deere is it big enough? #24  
I haven't lifted bales but will echo what others have said about being careful. We have a 4320 which is a much bigger tractor, filled rear tires. Lifting a partial skid of Hardiplank siding this weekend and it started going over with a slight slope when I raised the load - hairy moment but fine when I lowered and dumped some of it (which would be hard to do with a big bale). Needed more weight on rear end. Lesson was that you could have no hydraulic problem lifting stuff with FEL that can still be heavy enough to tip you over especially with a small tilt in ground or with elevating the load. Gravity can suck!

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #25  
Ive used my dads 3720 to move 1500#+ pallets of rock and masonry supplies. (my step mom is a mason). I ballance on the front tires as the back swings around like a graceful fish. Now that they have the new CT322 Deere track skidsteer to do all that. The 3720 let off a sigh when I pulled the CT322 into the barn the first time.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #26  
Is the 790 tipsy even if you have the load in the loader bucket close to the ground or is it when You have the load lifted high? I don't know much about round bails of hay but do they make you have to have the loader arms up high to lift them?

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #27  
I've carried a FULL bucket of clay with my 790 (Slow & close to the ground), but I'm NOT going to attempt a big bale. Not worth the risk!!! ~~ grnspot110

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #28  
I handle dry round bales every few days with mine, spear mounted on a quick connect plate, common sence, no problems. I chop grass and blow into a forage wagon, no problem. I cut hay 7' sickle, no problem. I bale hay, no problem. The 790 is a little work horse and has proven itself time and again around here, I may have larger tractors but the 790 is here to stay.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #29  
I had a 790. For small round bales, it was ok. For large very dry round bales, marginal. If the bale had any degree of moisture, tractor would not even lift it. Got a 990 much better but big bales were still scary to move. Got a new 5083E in May, Large wet bales at full height 10.5 feet tractor is a little tippy, but no problems with lifting. 790, and 990 would not even lift these. Go for at least a 990

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #30  
The John Deere 790 is a great all around tractor. I use it to move wood and even pull trees when cutting them down. It has a lot of power and certainly will work for your mowing and moving dirt. I also use it to move wood chips, dirt and stones. It should be able to handle the bales, but it might be a little shaky from the front. You are looking at a great tractor and a good price! :thumbsup: