790 John Deere is it big enough?

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #1  

Alpatts

I found a 790, 30 hp, 03 model 4x4 with a 419 loader and 483 hours on it. They are asking $10,000 firm. No implements. I was wondering if it sounds like a good deal. If I do buy it, I need it to unload and move around hay bales. Will it handle round bales off the front or only the back? I`ve read alot on the 790 and it sounds like it might be the tractor for me, especially if it can unload those round bales. Tired of rolling them by hand. Would like to hear from someone who knows, thanks for reading.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #2  
It depends on the size of the bales. My first instinct says no don't do it. But it all depends on the size of the bales and how often you plan on doing it.

If they are only 6-700lbs and werent going to be doing it that often it will do it but you'll wear everything out faster. If you are talking 12-1500 lb bales then i wouldn't even budge. You would nee to look to a utility sized tractor in the 50-60 hp range as a minium.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #3  
I agree with LD1. It depends on the size of the bales and how often you are doing it. The biggest issue is the weight of the tractor. The tractor alone only weighs 2000lbs plus the weight of the loader so I would say max 3000lbs without extra weights.
On the rear with enough front end weight I dont think it would be a problem. Moving them with the loader might me another story.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough?
Yeah, hey yall watch this. I see what you mean. I would only be unloading them and maybe when I put them out I could handle with the pto. I sure like this tractor and it hits my budget. I need to mow about six acres with it and move a little dirt around. Does the price seem right?

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #5  
Not sure of the lift capacity of the 419 loader but the Model 70 loader on mine is rated for 815lbs. However, I *think* the 419 has more lifting capacity, like around 1000lbs or so, but could be wrong. How much do the bales you plan to lift weigh? There is a poster on here who uses a 790 to move round bales and he's posted some pictures doing it.

Btw, if you buy that 790, there is a thread on this forum about increasing the lift capacity on the 790 front end loaders. It's a pretty simple thing to do, I did mine and the increase in lifting capacity should be around 200lbs or so. Also, that does seem to be a pretty good price for that tractor. My 790 is a 2001 model with the 70 loader, and 383 hrs (at time of purchase). I paid $9700 for it last year. Good luck!

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough?
I think the hay bales are 900 to 1000 pounds. If anything I could use the pulling power to drag them off the trailer. Anything would be better than by hand. Then I could handle them off the rear. The things we do for our horses. I`ve been rolling them by hand for a year now. My wife says she will help, but she always seems to not be available when one needs to be rolled in. lol. I appreciate all the help and if it works out that I get to buy the 790, I will look into increasing that lift.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #7  
I have a 2001 790 with a 70 loader and it had 300 hours on it when I bought it last fall. I paid right at 10,000 for it. I put in the shim kit to boost the lift capacity as Kebo has suggested...the instructions are posted at the John Deere threads. I think the loader and 3 point lifts 25% more with the shims installed.....but I think its going to be touch and go with bales of that size. But I too have seen pictures of another guy with a 790 carrying big bales with his 790.

If you can lift them with the loader....your going to need some rear ballast for sure. I put fluid in the rear tires and carry a box blade (with a few suitcase weights) on the back and seem to have all the ballast needed that way.

Good luck if you buy it....they are a good workhorse for the size.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #8  
The 419 loader operator's manual is available for viewing online on John Deere's website. It has the tractor ballasting requirements for the 790 (filled rear wheels plus 280 lbs. on the 3-point hitch) and lift capacities. You will need a spear on the front in place of the bucket to maximize your lifting capabilities, but I think you will find it lacking for 1000 lb. bales. Good luck.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #9  
I found a 790, 30 hp, 03 model 4x4 with a 419 loader and 483 hours on it. They are asking $10,000 firm. No implements. I was wondering if it sounds like a good deal. If I do buy it, I need it to unload and move around hay bales. Will it handle round bales off the front or only the back? I`ve read alot on the 790 and it sounds like it might be the tractor for me, especially if it can unload those round bales. Tired of rolling them by hand. Would like to hear from someone who knows, thanks for reading.

I have a 2002 790 with a model 70 loader, it seems real tippy on even mild slopes. Does anyone else have a similar problem and, if so, is there a remedy.

/ 790 John Deere is it big enough? #10  
I have no idea what the John Deere is capable of. What I do know is that my Mahindra 3215 is rated to lift 1410lbs at the pivot pins and the loader manual says to not lift any hay bales over 500lbs, and that is with using a bale spear. My guess is that the 790 loader will not do it, not safely anyway.:(

Good luck with your decision.