Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Default Re: What degreaser do you use?

Ammonia and water in a spray bottle. Cheap and easy. Follow the directions on the jug. I get mine at the dollar store.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    '97 NH Boomer 1925 HST 4WD, // Kubota B3030 HSTC

Most of the purple type ( strong alkali ) cleaners will remove grease, but as Ductape states, it will dull/etch paint. No need to get expensive, just some diluted purple type on a rag, then rinse with water hose, not pressure washer. I like EB1 GUNK original better, basically just mineral spirits with an emulsifying agent to make it water rinseable, and it leaves a very thin film behind that doesn't attract dust. Some of the grease fitting manufacturers sell rubber grease fitting caps, with or without retaining tethers, if those can't be found; vacuum caps work ok. In the old days of straight enamels, farmers used to wash/wipe down the complete tractor iron/sheetmetal with kerosene, kept the tractors looking newer for longer.
    '97 NH Boomer 1925 HST 4WD / 4' Bush Hog Squealer / RDTH 60 finishing mower / old unknown make rear blade & unknown disc /40+ year old 6' IH labeled ex highway dept rotary cutter / misc other.

new: Kubota B3030 HSDC

Do any and all of the above but wear a pair of coveralls when around the tractor. After leaving the area of the tractor and at least 20 feet away you can remove the coveralls, head protection as well as your footwear and you pass the grease free test as long as you keep your hands off everything!
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Do any and all of the above but wear a pair of coveralls when around the tractor. After leaving the area of the tractor and at least 20 feet away you can remove the coveralls, head protection as well as your footwear and you pass the grease free test as long as you keep your hands off everything!
    That's what I love about TBN, practical advice. Naked tractoring followed by a mineral spirits shower would also work I guess.

Silver Member

I use brake clean a lot, but you have to be careful with your eyes, and paint.

I have also modified how I grease. I used to pump until it oozed out thinking that it pushes out dirt. Now I just do a couple pumps in the smaller cavities and call it good. You can hear and feel when it is about full. I clean off the zerk before and after greasing with a rag.

Tractor
    Current, Power King (antique), Soon to have JD 5103

When I do a general cleaning I use dawn in a bucket (strong solution) with my power washer. I do a low pressure rinse so I don't spread an globs of grease where I don't want them. For spot cleaning I use 95% alcohol in a spray bottle.
    2008 5103, FEL, 6ft. HD Box Blade, 6ft. Rotory cutter. And many more to come.

Tractor
    3940HST Montana

As a kid I worked at an equipment rental yard; we used a product called Crownite 500 and it worked very well. Just spray it on with a fruit tree sprayer and let soak for a few minutes; pressure wash and the machine was spotless.
    I have tried to find a source of it it but no joy. I could certainly use it on my tractor.
    Montana 3940HST
    Home made SS quick attach http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=141029

Platinum Member Heywood Jannockitov's Avatar
    Near Schomberg, Ontario Canada, the equestrian center of the universe
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5425 cab, 1986 Case 580 Super E, 1973 IH454

I use Gunk concentrated degreaser mixed 50:50 with kerosene. Let it soak for 10 minutes then hose off or pressure wash
    Definition of "Horse": A 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die.

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

I continue to be amazed at the variety of approaches people have for degreasing or cleaning their tractors.

I expect we will soon hear from the Shammie Wow guy.

Platinum Member Heywood Jannockitov's Avatar
    Near Schomberg, Ontario Canada, the equestrian center of the universe
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5425 cab, 1986 Case 580 Super E, 1973 IH454

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    I expect we will soon hear from the Shammie Wow guy.
    You know we can't do this all day
    Definition of "Horse": A 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast