Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What degreaser do you use?

I,ll Ditto what RWolf said on the Dawn Dishwashing liquid . About the best & safest Cleaner as well as Eco friendly as You can get .

For those that Might not know, Thats what They use to Clean the Critters with that are soaked during the oil Spills as Well as Dirt thats been Contaminated with Crude around oilwells or Major pipelines . That can Be Moved to Low spots in farmground Worked several times with a disk while spraying the Mixture into the dirt , letting it sit & work more . Might take Several times to clean it up Completely But It does Work & Proven to be safe . I Wouldn,t of Beleived it till I seen it . & a Surprisingly small amount of dawn mixed with 500 gallons of water . No Clue How it works but it does, as These types of Cleanups are Strictlly Government controlled .

I Use it in a Sprayer , Let it Soak & spray it with warm or Hot water with a Regular Garden hose. Unless its to bad ,I,ll Break out the Preasure washer . . Interesting topic though . Bob

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jannockitov View Post
    You know we can't do this all day
    I have to admit that I saw them at Costco last weekend and came very close to throwing them in the cart. Not that I needed them but the Shammie Wow guy is a good showman.

Platinum Member Heywood Jannockitov's Avatar
    Near Schomberg, Ontario Canada, the equestrian center of the universe
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5425 cab, 1986 Case 580 Super E, 1973 IH454

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    ...but the Shammie Wow guy is a good showman.
    He sure is!
    Definition of "Horse": A 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Do any and all of the above but wear a pair of coveralls when around the tractor. After leaving the area of the tractor and at least 20 feet away you can remove the coveralls, head protection as well as your footwear and you pass the grease free test as long as you keep your hands off everything!
    Of all the suggestions this one is the only one I can make work all the rest cost too much and then you have to discard the greasy rags or watch the oily soapy water run all over your yard ??? just use coveralls and take them off when done. I don't mean wear nothing but coveralls I mean wear them over my regular clothes.
    Jack

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
    A bumble bee is considerably faster than a tractor.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy357 View Post
    I,ll Ditto what RWolf said on the Dawn Dishwashing liquid . About the best & safest Cleaner as well as Eco friendly as You can get .
    I found this while searching the subject: (clean up of 8000gallons of animal fat....must have been one heck of a barbeque). One downside is the need for warm/hot water though.

"Dawn to the Rescue
    Not only does Dawn help clean oiled wildlife, but on April 30, 1998, it was also used to clean nearly 8,000 gallons of heated animal fat off a roadway in Cincinnati.
    After highway crews tried more than a dozen products and solvents to no avail, they called on technical experts from Procter & Gamble to assist in the cleanup. After making an assessment of the site, the remedy was clear優awn dishwashing liquid.
    At the completion of the cleanup, more than 3.5 tons (1,200 gallons) of Dawn had been donated by Procter & Gamble to the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). Dawn penetrated the grease and enabled crews to wash it away using hot water from an area nearly the size of five football fields. Did you know. . .

Dawn was used to degrease otters caught in the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska. That's when animal rescue organizations began to routinely use Dawn to help clean oil from wildlife. "

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

I am trying to understand what you guys mean by an eviromentally friendly product. Do you mean you can spray an old gunked up motor with degreaser, let it sit, and then wash all the crud off onto the ground with the crud being harmless. Or is just the raw product itself eco safe ?

I have some equipment I would love to degrease but haven't because I can't figure a practical way to contain the wash and dispose of it safely. If I could get it to a car wash I would do it that way.
    How do some of you grease big equipment ?
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor

FWIW, they used Dawn dish washing detergent to degrease the Gulf of Mexico after the BP blow out. They use it on oil covered birds too.

It apparently does well as an environmentally safe oil dispersant. On the other hand, it probably won't do much to disperse big globs of cold grease oozing out of bushings.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    I am trying to understand what you guys mean by an eviromentally friendly product. Do you mean you can spray an old gunked up motor with degreaser, let it sit, and then wash all the crud off onto the ground with the crud being harmless. Or is just the raw product itself eco safe ?

I have some equipment I would love to degrease but haven't because I can't figure a practical way to contain the wash and dispose of it safely. If I could get it to a car wash I would do it that way.
    How do some of you grease big equipment ?
    Just the initial product would be environmentally friendly, any grease washed off wouldnt be.

Then again, I dont care and proceed to wash the grease off onto my paved wash pad. Grease, meet asphalt; Asphalt, meet grease

Tractor
    Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL

I just use some rags and spray the grease with wd-40 type substance and wipe it all off, messy yeah but gets it clean.
    Kubota L2800DT, 4wd, Kubota FEL, Armstrong Ag 6' box blade, Howse 6' mower, Armstrong Ag 6' disk, Leinbach 6' rake

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

Haven't really had to remove grease/oil much in last few years. In the old days, when I was a really poor church mouse, I'd wet the engine, sprinkle Tide over the wetness, let soak and hose off. For small amounts, I'd use kerosene (used to be cheap). Now, you can get liquid Tide. Applied in a sprayer would work better than the powder. Varsol (if you can get it) and naphtha (if you can get it, MUCH less dangerous than gas, as it has no butane) work better than kero.
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast