What degreaser do you use?

/ What degreaser do you use? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I'm tired of ruining jackets, shirts, hats, pants etc on the grease goo that collects around all my zerks and oozes out around bushings etc on the FEL, BH etc. I'm even more tired of being yelled at for unwittingly tracking in grease by the queen of cleanliness in our household. I am not a clean freak but I'd like to try cleaning things up on the tractor and use a degreaser that will be effective, not very expensive and importantly compatable with tractor paint and other potentially vulnerable parts/materials.

I've found about a hundred degreaser products in the Grainger catalog and other sources but cannot figure out what specifications are appropriate for my intended use. Does anyone understand the various specifications from NSF, Boeing etc? Would you use a solvent or non solvent based product?

I kinda have the image of being able to walk around the tractor after greasing it and just using a spray and rag/paper towel to swipe off excess and keep it cleaner. I'd prefer not to have to powerwash after applying a degreaser.

What are you guys using?

/ What degreaser do you use? #2  
I use a rag to wipe off excess, especially around the fitting that has the potential to mix with my shirt when refueling.

/ What degreaser do you use?
I use a rag to wipe off excess, especially around the fitting that has the potential to mix with my shirt when refueling.

I've done that too in order to remove gross excess but it tends to just smear even more grease around in a thin layer which then picks up dirt/dust and then gets on clothing a bit later.

/ What degreaser do you use? #4  
If I need to clean up painted surfaces I only use Simple Green. Doesn't hurt any paint. Vehicle undercarriage gets Purple Power. I've had Purple Power dull paint on me in the past...... but its definitely stronger than Simple Green.

/ What degreaser do you use? #5  
I'd prefer not to have to powerwash after applying a degreaser.

What are you guys using?

I've found that a power wash just tends to spread some little gobs of the grease everywhere. Besides, a power wash can force water in where you don't want it. Just my experience.

/ What degreaser do you use? #6  
Mineral spirits. Wont hurt paint and its cheap. Just put in a compatable trigger bottle (i like zep bottles from home depot) or take a 500ml pop bottle and drill a small hole in the cap.

Other than that i like the purple type cleaner concentrate mixed with water.

/ What degreaser do you use? #7  
I've had good luck with my pressure washer, it has a burner. I can turn up the heat to 310 degrees,it will strip off the wax if I'm not carefull. plowking

Last edited:
   / What degreaser do you use? #8  
I use a pump garden sprayer with varsol (and occasionally old gas, yep- should not do that).
Sometimes I need to scrub a bit to loosen heavier accumulations but it works for me.

/ What degreaser do you use? #9  
I get wax and grease remover from the local auto paint supplier. The stuff is not cheap, but the grease just disappears with no harm to the paint. The first gallon lasted me about 3 years, so about $1 a month or so.

/ What degreaser do you use?
Thanks guys. I am impressed with the variety of solutions y'all have employeed. Somehow I thought this would come down to two or three favorite products but this is all over the map. No PBblaster equivalent that most can agree on I guess.

My dealer uses a spray on stainless steel cleaner just to add another oddball alternative.

I guess I will start with green soap or mineral spirits as I have those already. Still would like to hear from anyone who knows the technical side of this issue as there are clearly standards and science behind this issue.