Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya....

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
Anyone who's spent much time bush hogging has no doubt hit SOMETHING in the weeds. Goes with the territory....

I've been finding out lately the same applies to tillers.

Till for other people and the odds multiply.

Add in for the "being a nice guy" factor and it get downright ugly.

Explanation; I promised to till a garden for a neighbor, and another for his dad. Both are with-in a 10 minute tractor ride from the house. No big deal. Supposedly there was a garden in both spots in previous years. Sounds like fun!

First stop, the neighbor. He wants a spot roughly 40' X 80' tilled. It WAS about 25' by 50' in the past. A little uncharted ground, but nothing appears out of place. I looked it over, and started tilling. 1/2-way through the second pass......POW.....bounce/bounce/bounce/bounce.....hit the clutch! Hmmmmmm. Nothing broken except my nerves.....I step down to see what "we" hit. Before I made it to see, I hear, "Oh yeah! I forgot! There used to be clothesline posts out here somewhere.....".

"We" hit a chunk of concrete w/2" iron pipe sticking out.

The REST of the garden was a non event, On to dads place.

This was a smaller garden, maybe 25' X 30'. All former garden ground. I asked specifically, "Anything in the ground I could hit?" I was assured there was NOTHING there. Onward and upward. About 1/2-way through the garden, something went crazy. No noise, but something wadding up around the tines.

"Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you about the landscape fabric that is buried in the garden..."

20 minutes with a pocket knife LATER.....I vowed NEVER to till another garden except mine so long as "we" shall live.

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #2  
(shaking my head) I know the feeling. being a nice guy sometimes backfires doesnt it? At least the most important thing here is that nothing machine-wise is broken. :rolleyes: ( oh yeah forgot to tell ya- never say never) :D

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #3  
I would have asked the father to get on his back and ruin his pocket knife cut out the "oh yeah, I forgot...." stuff....BobG in VA

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #4  
A tiller is kinda like a lie detector........it brings back all kinds of memory. :D

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya....
I would have asked the father to get on his back and ruin his pocket knife cut out the "oh yeah, I forgot...." stuff....BobG in VA

I can be kinda hard core when it's called for, but even I wouldn't tell a 92 year old man to get under the tiller.....:eek: I DID request "sonny" to help. (and he did)

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #6  
20 minutes with a pocket knife LATER.....I vowed NEVER to till another garden except mine so long as "we" shall live.

Good Mornin Bill,
Good story thanks !!! :D Im glad I had my coffee allready ! ;)

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya....
Good Mornin Bill,
Good story thanks !!! :D Im glad I had my coffee allready ! ;)

Hey Scotty!

Yeah, no problem! And you can only imagine the entertainment value I got outta this.....

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #8  
Exactly why I like to use a subsoiler/middlebuster or cultivator first. Helps with the hidden treasures. I cultivated then tilled a couple of acres last weekend that hadn't been worked for 30 years and was used as an auto wrecking yard for years. The cultivator brought up enough stuff to build a 72 Chevy but the tiller went through no problem.

Glad nothing was broken (your nerves should heal).

KB

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #9  
Good times. I can't be too critical though, since I have had those types of memory lapses too. I can add a tip for the wrapped up tiller mess though. After practically ruining a nice pocket knife cutting a cord wrapped tiller one time, I started using cheap paring knives. You can usually buy them in a 2 pack at a discount or dollar store. They come with bright plastic handles so you won't lose them, and only get the kind with serrated blades. The little serrated teeth will "saw" through almost anything and will make it much easier and quicker to clean a tiller. Use it more like a saw than a knife. I keep one in my tractor tool box now.

/ Oh yeah....I forgot to tell ya.... #10  
Wow now I know not to be the nice guy. Befor I even asked my neighbor to Hawg mine land I walked it to make sure I knew the ground 1st. I wouldn't even have thought of having someone work the property and I not know what was going on out their.