Mowing What's a field supposed to look like after mowing

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #11  
Re: What\'s a field supposed to look like after mowing

steve: i cut a fied with a rear finish mower, by no stretch ot the imagination can it be considered a lawn, but it is all grass as i don't give it a chance to be anything else. looks great from the road. think u may want to switch to a finish mower.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #12  

Hey PitBull:
That's kind of my theory. We have what they call noxious weeds here (meaning weeds that are not native plants), and they have a program to release non native insects which eat these weeds. Hmmmmmmm I think I'll stick to using my John Deere 513. I use it about three or four times a summer, and so far, the grass seems to be coming back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Bob

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #13  

Not as pretty as a finish mower, but I'm please with the results I get from my cutter. Given taller or thicker grass, the cutter does a better job than a finish mower, leaving fewer "survivors" behind. If the grass is not allowed to get very tall, then the finish mower cuts prettier.

I'm not ready to start mowing my acreage often enough for the finish mower to do a better job, therefore I'll stick with the brush hog for now. If you squint, and look at it from the road you can't tell the difference.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #14  

I got a smoother cut on my pasture than most folks do simply because I had the brush hog set just as close to the ground as possible and only had weeds and grass to cut.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #15  

And here I thought a " brush hog " was a feral/wild pig and a slasher was the name given to an undesirable type of movie character!

Egon

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #16  

<font color=blue>"If you squint, and look at it from the road you can't tell the difference."</font color=blue>

Do you have a sign on the roadway that says..."Please squint as you go by."?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #17  

Normal rotary cutter blades are pretty dull so that when they hit rocks, stumps and fenceposts the blades don't get all chewed up. If you knew you had all the rocks and stuff out of the fields you could sharpen the blades and probably get a much nicer cut.

Chris

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #18  

<font color=blue>Do you have a sign on the roadway that says..."Please squint as you go by."?<font color=black>

No, but thats a good idea......

Or, I could have a sign that says "Don't look at this property". Then I wouldn't have to mow at all.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #19  

Yeah, I think the posts just about nail it - sharpen the blades (that's key), and lower the deck, with it flat (that's what I do) or tilted a bit rear down. I get a reasonable looking cut doing such, not as good as my Snapper riding mower on my lawn at home, but decent and a heck of a lot faster for large areas. A finishing mower is great, but you need to have a relatively smooth surface, and no major rocks, stumps, etc. - I still have too many "untamed" areas, and would ruin a finishing mower.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #20  

Well, my 15' Rhino Batwing cuts my property as so:

| <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/image/336853>Pic #2 | | <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/image/421072>Pic #4

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://pbase.com/image/252407>Me and my Mower</A>

I think it does a pretty fair job. I cut it about every 3 weeks. I am also doing alot of clearing of the woods with the mower, so the blade edges are like thumbs, and it still cuts pretty darn good.