Mowing What's a field supposed to look like after mowing

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing
Re: What\'s a field supposed to look like after mowing

Thanks to all for the input!!! I have lowered and leveled the mower and I think the blade is about as sharp as the rocks will allow. We will think of it as a thrasher not a mower and get on with it.

Steve

ps to Gatorboy - your field looks like a golf course fairway!

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #22  
   / What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #23  

If you mow it more frequently, you may end up with a more finished look.

I "knocked down" a field using my MMM; kept cutting it about every two weeks and now it looks exactly like my lawn. Took about four cuttings for it to look that way.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #24  

If you can run the rotor of a bush hog faster than a 540 rpm pto, you can get a cleaner cut, but it won't look like a lawn mower did the job.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #25  

Interesting topic, just cut our paddocks which are old pasture and never before been cut, with our new 4' Topper, that's what we call a "Bush Hog or Slasher" here in the UK. First cut was at a high setting as the grass was about 2' and clumpy. Cut it like butter although it looks a bit rough, going to try some of the tips posted here and hopefully after a few more cuts I can get it looking neater. Only thing that worries me is all the cut grass left lying after. I guess regular cutting at a lower height will chop it up more and not be such a problem. Great board you have here :)

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #26  

I guess if every one called them by their "proper" name, "rotary cutters" then it would reduce the confusion.
Depending on where you are in the U.S., they are given all kinds of "slang" names, but the manufactures call them "rotary cutters".
Has any one on here bought one of the "new" Woods "Brush Bulls?? It is easily the best designed single spindle rotary cutter i've seen out there today!
Robert

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #27  

Yeah and all those cuttings will kill the grass underneath. You better get out there with a drag harrow and keep them from sitting and killing the grass or you will be sorry. I know this cuz I did that a few years back.
In the South we call rotary cutters Brush Hogs or Hogs, we call any soft drink a Coke. If you ask for a rotary cutter and a Pepsi all you gonna get is blank stars, some scratch'n and spitting and some ol' boy might even accuse you of being a communist and being in favor of the UN or even worse a Yankee. J

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #28  

We call any soft drink a coke also. You tell someone to get you a "coke" and they ask "What kind?"

Most people call rotary cutters "shredders" down here.

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #29  

Around here "coke" is somethin' you put your peanuts in, and "pepsi" is what you drink with your moon pie. ;-)

/ What's a field supposed to look like after mowing #30  

What if I asked for "Deux steamy all-dressed, un cheese, une petite poutine et un Coke s'il vous plait."

Here we say bush hog if you're English and bush hog if you're French /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. A Coke is really a Coke. If you ask for a Coke and the place only has Pepsi, they'll ask you if it's ok to substitute.

A "steamy" is a hot-dog.
A "cheese" is a cheeseburger.
A "poutine" well, is a poutine. A lovely mixture of fries, sauce (like the kind you get a KFC - which incidentally is called PFK here), and curd cheese.