Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Default Re: Using tractor to move boat/trailer around property

For me, I was fixing up my palletforks that were going to be scrapped and had a hole drilled in one of the forks. When I hauled it up to my dads, I moved the fork in as far as I could and put a ball in the hole. Then I backed the 3720 Deere up to the 4 horse trailer and towed it around to the back of the barn. My step mom was working with a horse and looked up to see me pulling the horse trailer with the tractor. Then I hauled the cenent mixer around the back as well.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

My carry-all / forks have a sets of five pre-drilled holes on the bottom forks part. Here is a picture of the carry-all (note I used a 3pt to QA adapter to use these on my FEL);

My plan is to use a piece of 2x2 14ga galvanized "perf tube" to span one set of holes on each fork. I just hope it is strong enough, but I think it will be OK for my 3000lb boat+trailer. Here is a pic of the perf tube;

And then finally mount the step bumper receiver to the perf tube with thickest lag bolts possible. Here is a pic of the receiver;

The perf tube should be about $20 shipped and the step bumper would be another $30 so figure $50 to convert my forks into a trailer hitch. The nice thing about it is that I can move the stock to another hole set to move the receiver closer/further from the FEL and I can remove the stock all together and go back to using them as forks.

Will post some pics of the final setup when complete!

Thanks,
    Last edited by z0lt3c; 05-05-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    z0lt3c

1979 John Deere 317 Garden Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    I move mine around with a three-point mounted hitch all the time. Works good for me.
    Did you make this 3-pt hitch or purchase it?

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Wedge,

I made the hitch, starting with a three-point drawbar from TS. It also doubles as an adapter for a couple of non-iMatch compatible KK attachments I own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -4-20-08-001-b   -4-20-08-003-b   -4-27-08-004-b  
    Runner

Elite Member

I use an Andy Tatro skid steer compatible trailer mover.
    HANDY ! It has the really nice feature that it can be mounted on either side of the FEL and for maneuvering in tight quarters having it off-set to one side can be very useful.

Be careful whichever end of the tractor you use.
    Back yards and driveways can be humpy bumpy and even with the hitch on the truck it is easy to plow up some grass or blacktop with the prop.
    It is tempting to raise the trailer off it's tongue jack and carry it at that height, just remember that to put it on the truck it would be LOWERED from that height.
    Try to keep the ball less than 18 inches from the ground at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Wedge,

I made the hitch, starting with a three-point drawbar from TS. It also doubles as an adapter for a couple of non-iMatch compatible KK attachments I own.
    Nice job.. I was wondering what the extra flanges were for. I guess I'll have to take your photos to my welder and see what he can do. I'd really like a frame that I can mount my winch onto when needed.

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Tractor
    Kubota B2100

Stern now heavier and outboard motor keel slams into pavement since 3PH does not resist lifting forces. (another possibility is that the trailer hitch came off the ball because, since they/I were "just moving the boat a little bit", they/I didn't lock the trailer hitch to the ball.)

I've had boats of various sizes for years. If you lock the ball on the hitch before you lift, it won't come off the ball. Better;keep the boat in a slight bow up attitude and the drain plug out. Best; keep it covered and at a slight bow up attitude. The drain plug is important. Many a boat has "sunk" on the trailer. Not so bad for outboards, but I/O's really don't like getting wet.

That said, I use a rack with a reciever I made for the three point. It sticks out so far, I just put the wheels where I want them and rotate the trailer in. Now that I have the tractor, I use it to tow the trailer over to the vehicle because its so darn easy.
    Kubota B2100HSD, Machio 60" 3pt finish mower, TSC boom pole, Homemade 3pt rack with receiver with remote control winch, Woods 48" box blade and Woods XT48 brush hog.

Tractor
    International 956xl. Leyland 154D.

Just happened to spot this on web. I suppose tractors are associated mainly with farmers. I operate 2 tractors in my Boat business. A 1984 International 956xl 4WD, original unrestored with 6600 Hrs, plus a 1972 Leyland 154D which I restored to concourse condition, but is a working machine which will not be going to any shows.-restoration-completed-010-jpg-100_0332-jpg

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

I had the same problem moving my trailers to their "park" location until I purchased a KK Trailer Mover. King Kutter 3-point Trailer Mover

One thing I like about the KK mover is, it comes with a limit chain so the rearward weight of a loaded trailer can't raise the 3 pt (when attached to drawbar) to an unsafe condition. My "park" area is up hill, so this was an important feature for my use.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?"

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Quote Originally Posted by bot View Post
    Just happened to spot this on web. I suppose tractors are associated mainly with farmers. I operate 2 tractors in my Boat business. A 1984 International 956xl 4WD, original unrestored with 6600 Hrs, plus a 1972 Leyland 154D which I restored to concourse condition, but is a working machine which will not be going to any shows.
    Welcome to TBN! Love the Leyland - a beautiful restore and paint job!
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast