Oil & Fuel Ideas for fuel transfer???

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #1  

HCJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 4WD
I am tired of hauling 5 gallon containers of diesel! And whoever invented those "ventless" containers?? It seems those have become all that is available and they really are a pain. Does anyone else hate them? Man, are they slow to empty.

I am thinking about another way to haul diesel. I use about 10 or 15 gallons weekly. I have seen those 30 gallon and 10 gallon tanks at Northern that look nice, but just can't decide. I don't want to have fuel delivered, since my place is pretty far out and I don't live there. So assumming I bring fuel in my truck, what are some good ways you guys use? I would prefer not to spend a fortune, don't want a permanent tank in my truck, so it needs to be semi portable. A 30 gallon tank would be hard to handle, whereas a 10 should be managable, but probably not much better than using several 5 gallons. Any clever ideas to lift a bigger tank out of a truck bed, suspend it, and have it gravity feed? I am toying with that idea. I also would consider a hand pump or a 12v. What are my choices?

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #2  
   / Ideas for fuel transfer??? #3  
I have one of those plastic 275 gallon containers on a metal skid. Check Craigslist and you will find them there. I got mine for $60.00. When I need to fill it up I use my FEL with pallet forks to place in on my pickup. I only put 50 to 100 gallons in it at a time. Then just place in anywhere you want with the FEL.

Works good for me.

Wally

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #4  
Diesel weighs 7.1 LBS/gal so a 10 gal container weighs around 75 LBS depending on the weight of the container. Since you use 10 - 15 gal a week get the electric pump and the 30 gal container. Make sure you secure it well as now you're talking over 210 LBS just in the weight of the fuel that you don't want sliding around.

That's enough fuel to last two weeks, enough to be convienient but not enough to develope problems from condensation, etc. Any bulk storage has the potential for a microbe colony to grow at the meeting of the fuel and any water trapped underneath from condensation.

Hazardous Material laws kick in at 1000 LBS +/or when the container holds over 119 gal, the definition of a bulk container so the average person can transport three 55 gal drums -or- one container up to 119 gal without having problems w/ the Haz Mat enforcement though larger tanks need to be 'secured'.

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #5  
I used a 55 gal. barrel for years for that before I got an overhead 500 gal. tank and started having fuel delivered. If you have an FEL a 30 gal. barrel would not be hard at all to move out of a p/u bed. A hand pump would transfer the fuel easily. 12v electric fuel pumps with hose, wiring, and nozzles start around $200. I currently use a 100 gal bed tank with a 12v pump to transfer fuel around and keep a 500 overhead for bulk delivery here at the ranch.
I see used bed tank setups for sale on craigslist pretty often. Many of the bed tanks have lifting rings on them, you might could find the whole setup pretty cheap that way. I wouldn't fill it completely and try to move it if it was a bigger tank, but you could make one work out as a portable easily.

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #6  
Diesel weighs 7.1 LBS/gal so a 10 gal container weighs around 75 LBS depending on the weight of the container. Since you use 10 - 15 gal a week get the electric pump and the 30 gal container. Make sure you secure it well as now you're talking over 210 LBS just in the weight of the fuel that you don't want sliding around.

That's enough fuel to last two weeks, enough to be convienient but not enough to develope problems from condensation, etc. Any bulk storage has the potential for a microbe colony to grow at the meeting of the fuel and any water trapped underneath from condensation.

Hazardous Material laws kick in at 1000 LBS +/or when the container holds over 119 gal, the definition of a bulk container so the average person can transport three 55 gal drums -or- one container up to 119 gal without having problems w/ the Haz Mat enforcement though larger tanks need to be 'secured'.

That is very informative tidbit and good to know. Do you have any link to support the statements ?

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #7  
That is very informative tidbit and good to know. Do you have any link to support the statements ?

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - go into Haz Mat rules.

I've spent 31 years in operations and safety in the chemical tanker transport industry and was responsible for Hazardous Materials training; I instructed the MC307/312 - DOT407/412 portion of First responder training for the New Jersey State Police at Middlesex County Fire School for three years.

I've also been thru OSHA 1910.120, have any questions regarding Hazardous Waste?

My first job was dispatching fuel transports. Gas averages 6.5 LBS/gal, Diesel 7.1 and bunker is 7.4 - 7.8 depending on if it is #4, #5, or #6. Sulfuric acid is 15.463 LBS/gal

Somewhere around here I have a reference book from N.T.T.C {National Tank Truck Carriers} with a weight per gal table for a variety of products but I can get the weight/gal from a proportion using the specific gravity of the product from the MSDS against the weight of water [8.463LBS/gal]

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #8  
I have one of those plastic 275 gallon containers on a metal skid. Check Craigslist and you will find them there. I got mine for $60.00.

These 'tote bins' are considered Bulk Containers by Haz Mat Enforcement and that's according to the capacity not how much you put in it...

The valves and closure have to meet DOT 'spec'.

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #9  
I still use the 5 gallon containers. However, I dont use the spouts that come with them. I purchased a large funnel and secured a cotton cloth over the top of the funnel. I just pour directly from the can into the funnel. Works fine for me.

/ Ideas for fuel transfer??? #10  
I really hate the new ventless gas cans. And they spill around twice as much gas, I fail to see how that's an environmental improvement.

Just bought a fill rite FRV700 pump this afternoon for the same reason. Going to put it on the oil tank for the house heat (common up here) and hard pipe it through the basement wall to a hydraulic quick connect that I'll put on the hose.

Am expecting this will save a world of hassle as well as cost, as I think the basement tank is 500 gallons, and gets refilled automatically (runs heat in winter, hot water year-round)

If anyone sees anything dumb in this idea, please point it out!