New Tractor owner, gardening question

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question #1  

Brian Miller

Tractor
JD 2305
Hello All,

I've been reading this forum since I first believed that a tractor was in my future. Well this weekend I took delivery of a John Deere 2305 with a rotary mower, front end loader & a middle mount mower. I put in as much seat time as I could but now I have some questions.

We have about 10 acres of old pasture land. It hadn't been cut in a few years & was pretty overgrown. Well not anymore. I had at it with the rotary mower & it is looking great. Now I want to plant a garden out in one of the fields. My plan is to hit the future garden spot with a middlebuster plow a few times to loosen up the soil. I can't afford a moldboard plow or rototiller right now. Once the soil is exposed I'll go in & plant some buckwheat, alfalfa, etc to enrich the soil. Next year I will buy a plow & rototiller.

Does this sound like a plan or is there something else I should be doing?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question #2  
As for planting something this year, will you get a use out of it ? Otherwise there is no real purpose to plant something else before you start a real garden. You will just use up the nutrients. farmers just plant something else every other year to let soil fallow to make most use of soil. If I were you and you don't want a garden this year, then wait until late summer, early fall depending where you live before the ground gets wet. This will conserve the soil and then by turning over the soil later in the year will help stop the weeds/grass growing at the moment for spring so its easier to work with in the spring. Then in the spring when ground is dry enough, run it again with middle buster to turn over the soil mixed with grasses/weeds to get it ready. This is the way farmers done it for years. Unless you get a tiller in the spring, then middle buster in fall then till in spring for best prep.

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question
Thanks Radioman.
I have a decent garden already so I am in no hurry. I wasn't planning on planting things I would use, just green manures. I figured buckwheat would send down deep roots to loosen the soil, alfalfa would add nitrogen, etc. But I will definitely get a rototiller in the spring.

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question #4  
Sounds like your on track taking your time, not like me rushing everything.... then fixing it up later.

Here is my method.
Snowmobile season ended and I needed something to do.
So I tore up the back yard for a garden way too early.
Ground was too wet, made a big mess.
Now I wish I waited until the ground dried up a little.
Live and learn!

Last edited:
   / New Tractor owner, gardening question #5  
Probably your best bet is to get you a turning plow by early fall,turn the ground over,than plant winter rye or something on top of the turned ground. Than next spring get you a tiller for your tractor and go over it,this will kill some weeds,improve the ground and make it easier to till[except,it might be a little rough if your plow job ain't real good]

You could also use a disk next spring as well,but unless new spot is an acre or something,tiller would probably be best.

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question #6  
Thanks Radioman.
I have a decent garden already so I am in no hurry. I wasn't planning on planting things I would use, just green manures. I figured buckwheat would send down deep roots to loosen the soil, alfalfa would add nitrogen, etc. But I will definitely get a rototiller in the spring.

Sounds like you have a good idea what you're doing. I would follow the plan in your original post. A sub-soiler to break it up down deep, some cover crops to add nitrogen and OM, and till it all under right before planting next spring. I use hairy vetch and/ or red clover myself but you're in a differnt zone and probably soil type than me.

Might be a good place to start a big compost heap with all of the vegetation you've just cut. Put the field clippings in a pile, add greens or browns as needed to get the ratio right, turn it with the loader on your new 2305 every week or so and you'll have lots of good stuff for your new garden!

Enjoy your new tractor!

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question
Thanks so much guys.
I just saw a used single bottom plow for sale near my house- I think I'll grab it.
It hadn't occurred to me to use the brush hog residue for compost but that is a great idea. And the info on hairy vetch was extremely helpful- fortunately it is already growing in my field.
Again, thanks for all the responses.

/ New Tractor owner, gardening question #9  
You might want to spray the proposed garden area with roundup about a month before you plow. Make sure everything is dead.