JD 3120 Wheel Spacing

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing #1  

JonBoyHunter

Tractor
John Deere 3033R
Hi all. New member to the group and I have a quick question. I recently sold a JD 425 Garden Tractor and Ford 1715 CUT, and consolidated to a JD 3120 with 72D autoconnect deck and 300cx loader. The tractor is being delivered today - can't hardly wait.

I purchased it with turf tires as about 75% of my use will be mowing/yard work. When I went to look at it and get my "training lesson" on the autoconnect deck (beautiful piece of engineering, btw) last night, I asked if they could set the wheels outboard, as the whole thing looks much more narrow than my Ford did. The dealer wasn't sure if the tires would fit with the deck in the outboard position, as the front right tire gets close to the front right gage wheel on the deck.

Does anyone have this setup (3x20, turfs, 72D) and if so, do you run the tires outboard? Conversly, does anyone have a 3x20, turfs, and want to comment on how tippy the tractor is when using loader? Thanks a bunch.

Jon Hunter
Marion, NY

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing #2  
There will be a few more opinions for you to "sift through" if your post was in the JD Owning/Operating forum.

AKfish

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing #3  
I wish that my dads 3720 was wider in the back.:( Atleast it has R4 tires.:D

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing #4  
My experience is that the rear R3 turfs can be run in the wide position. The front turfs cannot - they hit the body of the deck on tight turns- not the guide wheels. Another poster reported being able to run "golf turfs" front / rear in the wide position.

I rarely remove the FEL / BH and seat of the pants feel is they add to stability. Switching rears to wide increased (perception of) stability. Many have reported the 3x20 feels tippy. I only have one "hill" and after a years experience, I feel more secure on the 3320 on the identical slope than with my Garden tractor or the Honda 6522.

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing
Thanks for the replys. Exactly what you said, the rears could be set outboard, but the front can't be. The autoconnect deck has the quick release levers on the gage wheels, and the front tires will hit the levers in the outboard position. Guess it's time to build a ballast box! Thanks again.

Jon Hunter
Marion, NY
JD 3120, 72D Autoconnect, 300CX

/ JD 3120 Wheel Spacing #6  
Just as a suggestion, drop the tire pressure in the rear to the minimum. Most of the 3x20 series seem to get shipped with too much PSI in the rear and it gives the tractor a bouncy and tippy feeling.