Bad things hit while bush hogging?

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Wow!

About a week ago I hit a PVC pipe, about 8 foot long. I must say that had to be the quickest destruction of *anything* by my mowing that I have ever seen. By the time I reacted and lifted the deck it was too little, too late. Shards of sharp PVC in every size littered the mowing area. The biggest piece was about a foot long.

The only reason I say it was so bad, was because we spent the next hour or so picking up the debris.

The only reason I mention it a week later, is I found another piece this w/e. :)

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #2  
Sure does gets one attendion REAL quick doesn't it :(...hope you never chew on small moose antler as I did...YIKES. :(

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #3  
I was mowing one of the tracts my hunt club leases and I hit a broken piece of an old plow. The mower was just a bit to low because the 3pt hydraulics were leaking down some. It scooped up the broken plow and slung it around inside the mower deck for a while! :eek: A sharp corner on the plow knocked a 3/4" hole in one side of the deck before it finally got thrown out from under it.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #4  
The worst thing (for me) to get into is metal cable. Got into about 50 feet once and it wrapped around the gearbox output shaft so tight, I had to unbolt the stump jumper and take the grinding saw to it. If you bushhog for the public homeower you will run into just about anything.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #5  
The worst thing (for me) to get into is metal cable. Got into about 50 feet once and it wrapped around the gearbox output shaft so tight, I had to unbolt the stump jumper and take the grinding saw to it. If you bushhog for the public homeower you will run into just about anything.

Are you saying don't beleive them when they say, problems why no; we have been mowing it with a lawn mower, just got a little behind and need someone to cut the high stuff down.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #6  
I don't know if TBN has the bandwidth for me to list EVERYTHING I've hit, so here's my "DAVE LETTERMANS TOP 10 BAD THINGS THAT ENDED UP UNDER THE BUSH HOG" list.

10.) gallon bucket of roof tar
9.)bee's nest
8.)propane gas bottle (no explosion but a LOT of noise)
7.)approx. 500' coil of high tensile fence wire
6.)my favorite hat
5.)sawn off telephone pole, about 8" tall
4.)bicycle frame
3.)Space-saver spare tire/wheel
2.)dead dog carcass
1.) Live deer

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #7  
Like FWJ, I too have hit it all
(including a propane bottle, no explosion either, sucker flew like a 100 feet though, stop signs make a lot of noise when lying on the ground and they get sucked up by the cutter)

Hit a dead horse carcass, that was nasty. :eek:

BTW, a live Deer?????????? HTH did you do that?????

Anyway, worst thing ever was a cattle panel. (everyone know what this is?)

It's big thick wire (1/4" or so) in about 8" squares in a 5' by 8' panel. Hit it with a twin spindle 8' cutter. You can't just cut it out with a pair of diagonal wire cutters, and there isn't enough room to get bolt cutters in. and of course it got into both spindles.

Took over an hour (100 degrees out, lying under the cutter with about 3" of clearance to my nose, with all the grass falling in my face. BTW, it wasn't supported, so you safety guys can go have a heart attack now). to get it all clear.

UGH

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #8  
For me it was my favorite sweat shirt. Started the job when it was cool and as it warmed up I took off layers. You guess what happened next. Yep, had the arms tied around the FEL valve handle and it fell off. Before you know it the thing was shredded.

Chris

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #9  
Once I got a big woodchuck. That thing nearly stalled my old Ford 2000 deisel. Another time, I got a good sized snapping turtle. Luckily I never hit anything that did any damage to the brush-hog, but once I drove into a 3 ft high, 2 ft dia stump in 4 ft high weeds that made a mess of the grill and front sheetmetal on that old Ford.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #10  
Like FWJ, I too have hit it all
(including a propane bottle, no explosion either, sucker flew like a 100 feet though, stop signs make a lot of noise when lying on the ground and they get sucked up by the cutter)

Hit a dead horse carcass, that was nasty. :eek:

BTW, a live Deer?????????? HTH did you do that?????

Anyway, worst thing ever was a cattle panel. (everyone know what this is?)

It's big thick wire (1/4" or so) in about 8" squares in a 5' by 8' panel. Hit it with a twin spindle 8' cutter. You can't just cut it out with a pair of diagonal wire cutters, and there isn't enough room to get bolt cutters in. and of course it got into both spindles.

Took over an hour (100 degrees out, lying under the cutter with about 3" of clearance to my nose, with all the grass falling in my face. BTW, it wasn't supported, so you safety guys can go have a heart attack now). to get it all clear.

UGH

We "swath" a fawn or two every first cutting of hay with the swather. The darned things are programed to stay put no matter what. They do jump up but swathing along at good pace, it is always to late, and they are gone. Have got lucky, got things stopped in time and chased a few out of the uncut portion. Thats not a good feeling neither cause mama deer is never far. Dont usually know it happened till the next round. Got a skunk once, that was very obvious.....:eek: When cuttn 125+ acres you just never really know what lies out there.