Digging Ditches?

/ Digging Ditches?
Tom, you've left out a crucial detail -what are you digging with??? Nothing listed in your profile? Miked74T

I've got a NH 2310 (the new version of the TC40D) with a Woods BH-90x and an 18 inch bucket.

Sorry for the omission... :) Profile is now updated...

-Tom

/ Digging Ditches? #22  
Given time the sides will fall in and form the slope you need, especially if you mow alongside the ditch. I dug drain ditches through my fields and although not 2 feet deep the sides fell in and made a nice looking drainage ditch. You will end up with a ditch wider at the top than when it was dug.

/ Digging Ditches? #23  
This is really simple with the backhoe, but you have to dig with the hoe facing straight back to get your side slopes even. First, dig you ditch to the depth and width that you want it. Then with the tractor is the same position, take off the edges with your bucket. With the tractor in the same spot, the hoe stick has to turn at an angle to get to the edges of the trench. The bucket needs to curl down, with the digging force starting at the width you want the slope to begin. The just dig down to the bottom of you ditch. In just a few attempts, it will make sense to you and you will be able to get that V or flat bottom V that you are looking for.

Eddie

/ Digging Ditches? #24  
Gizmo2 is right.

If you start off with square ditches, in a few years they will be V-shaped. Maybe with a gentle U shaped bottom.

/ Digging Ditches? #25  
I disagree. Square ditches will erode in places, but it wont be uniform or neat looking. Once water finds a way in, it will continue to follow the path of least resistance and enter the ditch along that same path. Those areas will become gullies, while the other areas will remain square, or almost square.

Eddie

/ Digging Ditches? #26  
All of mine are in the process of becoming U-shaped, but I admit to limited experience.

/ Digging Ditches? #28  
I've used a custom FEL bucket I made for digging up trees. Not a perfect ditch digger but it eventually comes out more like what you wanted. I rip the grade using a subsoiler and then the shrub bucket to dig/form the swale. Somewhere on this site I posted design drawings and more pics......

DSC00750.jpg

/ Digging Ditches? #29  
Obviously there are multiple ways to do this. I like Eddie's suggestion the best. We have to clean out a neighbor's ditch this fall when it's drier and I'm not looking forward to it. It's about 8 or 10 feet wide, probably 4 feet deep at the bottom and basically quicksand like gooey muck. I may not be able to do the job but it's going to be interesting finding out.

Show us some pics of you can of the area you want to dig in.

/ Digging Ditches? #30  
Looks like a lot of work for horse pasture drainage. Can't you make a furrow with a single moldboard plow, carve out a nice smooth drainage path and be done in an hour or so?