Oil & Fuel JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil #1  

mattcage

Tractor
2006 John Deere 3720
I have a question about checking the transmission oil on my 3720. Should the bucket and the 3PH be at there lowest positions? ie on the ground? I am having a bear of a time getting the oil level right with this tractor. As you can surmise, it is my first big tractor.

I checked the oil with the bucket and 3ph down on the ground and found the oil level just barely on the crosshatch on the dipstick. So I added some oil and it really didnt make much difference (Checking the oil the next morning). Ran around and did some spraying and parked the tractor for the night with the bucket somewhat up and the 3ph up all the way. Checked the oil next morning and it was way above the crosshatch. Put the 3ph down and the bucket down and went to work. Checked the oil when I came home it was still way above the crosshatch.

I realize I am making this too complicated, but how should one check the oil? How does implement position affect the oil level?

Thanks,
Matt Hester

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil #2  
The hydraulic and tranny oil on any tractor should be checked with the tractor off and all hydros relaxed. That means the bucket and 3 point down then operate the lever a few time to relive pressure. It should only be checked also when the tractor is cooled down. It takes a while to drain all the fluid that has been splashed around in the tranny to settle out. Just like checking your engine oil

Just curious, is this a HST Tractor?

Chris

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil
Yes, it is a HST. Love the tractor. Just wonder why I am at the bare minimum, add a quart and now way too much oil. Strange.

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil #4  
Normally most tractors have a safe marking. It would be more important that when you check it that things be consistant. That means temperature too!

Yes, checking it in the morning after sitting all night. I don't use the tractor during the week, but once in a while. The weekend is when it gets a little use.

Thanks,
Matt

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil #6  
The postion of the hydraulics could affect the hst oil level. With the FEL cylinders out/extended, it requires more oil to fill the barrel of the cylinder because the rod is no longer in the barrel and vice versa. I never really thought about it because I check the oil when it is cool and my FEL is on the ground (cylinders retracted on the lift). It would not surprise me if the level could vary by a couple of quarts depending on the postion of the bucket and lift cylinders. In any case, there is enough leeway in the oil level in the housing to allow for a little to "low or high".
The 3 pt cylinder tends to be relatively small and varying the 3 pt height probably does not result in much of an effect on oil level.

/ JD 3720 Makes Transmission Oil #7  
The postion of the hydraulics could affect the hst oil level. With the FEL cylinders out/extended, it requires more oil to fill the barrel of the cylinder because the rod is no longer in the barrel and vice versa. I never really thought about it because I check the oil when it is cool and my FEL is on the ground (cylinders retracted on the lift). It would not surprise me if the level could vary by a couple of quarts depending on the postion of the bucket and lift cylinders. In any case, there is enough leeway in the oil level in the housing to allow for a little to "low or high".
The 3 pt cylinder tends to be relatively small and varying the 3 pt height probably does not result in much of an effect on oil level.

Most FEL have double acting cylinders on the lift and curl, which means if all is functioning normaly, both sides of the piston in the cylinder are always full of oil. the cylinders always contain nearly the same amount of oil regardless of position, all that varies is the amount of oil on each side of the piston.

I agree with the other posters about letting the tractor sit before checking the oil, also make sure it is on level ground

Last edited:
Will keep checking it. Tonight went for a little tool around with the box blade up and noticed that it dropped a little bit several times while riding around.

Could this just be air still caught up in the system?

Thanks,
Matt