Oil & Fuel Fuel Addative

/ Fuel Addative #1  

Doxy

I was told by a friend of mine I should be adding a fuel addative to my diesel fuel. I own a BX2350 with a 24 horse power diesel engine. My friend is a mechanic on large diesel tractors, bulldozers, etc. He adds fuel addative to every tank of gas. This seems like over kill to me. Any suggestions on fuel addatives for smaller diesel engies and how often they should be added to the fuel? He suggested Sea Foam and said it would help clean the engine.

/ Fuel Addative #2  
I was told by a friend of mine I should be adding a fuel addative to my diesel fuel. I own a BX2350 with a 24 horse power diesel engine. My friend is a mechanic on large diesel tractors, bulldozers, etc. He adds fuel addative to every tank of gas. This seems like over kill to me. Any suggestions on fuel addatives for smaller diesel engies and how often they should be added to the fuel? He suggested Sea Foam and said it would help clean the engine.

Sea Foam is incredibile, but I've only ever used it as a treatment for gummed up carbs, etc. I do add Power Service diesel additive to every tank. I don't use my tractor as much as some, and I may fill up the tractor in August and still have the same fuel in the tank in October when it freezes. I add the Power Service as an extra measure in case I end up with summer blend stuff in the late fall or winter.

Every oil company I know of is advertising big how they have detergents and injector cleaners in their fuel already. I don't think it's necessary to add anything to the fuel that you get out of the pumps nowadays. It's not going to hurt anything, though.

/ Fuel Addative #3  
It all depends on how the fuel is stored. Your friend works on large diesels. They may have several hundred gallons of diesel on hand that sits in tanks for a long period. In that event I agree but if you're filling up from the local station then that fuel will probably be fresh most of the time. The other thing to remember is to keep your diesel tank 3/4 to full if you're going to leave your tractor unused for a long period of time. Less fuel in the tank means more of a chance for condensation build up.

/ Fuel Addative #4  
I agree with everyone that has responded. After reading many posts here on TBN, I always put some Power Service in every tank I fill year around. It doesn't cost much and gives me added security just in case.

/ Fuel Addative #5  
First of all - you need to get out of the habit of saying "every tank of gas", or your going to be talking to someone and they'll surprise you with the favor of filling your tank up with gas.

Power Service and other additives are often used. Most of the older engines were designed for "high" sulfur fuel, which provided lubricity. PS does that now. It also boosts the cetane rating. The treatment rate is not great. $15 of PS will probably treat 250 gallons, which should you last you for about 500 hours of operation. There are also a couple of other additives, check the PS web site. Diesel 9-1-1 is handy to keep around if it gets real cold.

/ Fuel Addative #7  
There are many articles out on the web about the lost lubricating properties of the new ultra low sulfur diesel. The injection pump and injectors are lubricated by the fuel. My tractor gets a dose of power service in every tank of fuel, as recommend by my dealer. I look at it as cheap insurance, you can even by the stuff at wal-mart.

/ Fuel Addative #8  
How much power service would you put into a 5 gallon fuel tank?

/ Fuel Addative #10  
RTFC
Read the fine container

newbury has a point. power service has 2 versions of application of doses, old and new. IF you get a bottle that been sitting on the shelf for 2 years, you might run into the older version of dosage rate. So just read the bottle and follow, even if you can't be precise adding a bit extra by accident shouldn't hurt it but down take my word for it. This has been discussed many times here on TBN.