What's a dipperstick digging force?

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #1  

back2earth

Tractor
Kioti CK30
What's a dipperstick digging force and when does it matter when choosing a backhoe (as opposed to just focusing on the bucket digging force)?

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #2  
That's a good question, not sure the difference between dipper stick force and boom force.

The boom is typically the strongest cyl. and very important in lifting rocks and stumps out of holes.

The dipper stick cyl. is important for dragging rocks and stumps and the like towards or away from you. Also important when scooping during digging.

Not sure how they are measured.

They are all important at different times. I find myself, because I have many many large rocks, relying on the boom and dipper for lifting large heavy rocks. And curle force in the bucket is critical for breaking roots and digging rocks.

I realize I've not been much help.

Joel

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #3  
What's a dipperstick digging force and when does it matter when choosing a backhoe (as opposed to just focusing on the bucket digging force)?

I believe that dipperstick digging force is how much force can be applied by crowding in the boom. Bucket digging force is the force applied at the bucket teeth when you curl in the bucket. It is considerably higher than the dipperstick digging force. This difference is determined by the relative geometry of the backhoe and the moment arms created.

Here are the specs for one of my backhoes.

Woods Equipment Company - BH1050 (10.5')

You can see that the

Dipperstick digging force is 2,863 lbs. and the
Bucket digging force is 6,000 lbs.

Andy

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #4  

You've got four movements on a backhoe.
1. left and right
2. boom to lift up and down
3. dipper stick to move towards you and away from you
4. bucket curl/dump

The forces matter, because the higher the force, the more power or leverage can be applied.

Think of playing in a sandbox with your arm as a backhoe. Your hand is the bucket. You use it to scoop. Your forearm is the dipper stick. Try holding your wrist straight with your hand buried in sand while pulling with your forearm. That's the dipper stick digging force. The higher the dipper stick digging force is, the more power it has to pull towards you through tough soil.

Does that help? :confused:

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #5  
The dipperstick digging force is how hard you can "plant" the backhoe teeth into the ground and the bucket digging (curl) force is what you can do once they are planted. In reality it is more complex than this and they interact. Typically you will be crowding in as you curl the bucket to dig.

Andy

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #6  
I believe some of you have it backwards,, the dipper stick is the first section, the crowd second where the bucket attaches,,, You are crowding toward the dipper stick with curled bucket, As I have been told many times, not that it is right, AndyMA has it right, for curl, dipper-crowd forces.

/ What's a dipperstick digging force?
Thanks for the enlightenment. So then I guess that the boom digging force is not usually listed since it is assumed that it should handle both the bucket and dipperstick digging forces simultaneously (i.e. when one is both curling the bucket and crowding in the boom to the max)?

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #8  
I believe some of you have it backwards,, the dipper stick is the first section, the crowd second where the bucket attaches,,, You are crowding toward the dipper stick with curled bucket, As I have been told many times, not that it is right, AndyMA has it right, for curl, dipper-crowd forces.

I think you may be mistaken.

The boom is at the tractor end, the dipper stick on the end of that, and the bucket is on the end of the dipper stick.

(′dipキər ′stik) (mechanical engineering) A straight shaft connecting the digging bucket of an excavating machine or power shovel with the boom.

Different Parts of a Backhoe, Machinery Junction - Construction Equipment

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #9  
I saw a commercial about a guy getting hit for thinking with his dipstick.

/ What's a dipperstick digging force? #10  

Dipperstick and crowd refer to the same function. The boom is attached to the swing post and dipper. The dipper is attached to the boom and bucket.