Engine Siezed, What to do?

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #1  

leonandtherese

The Bluegrass of Kentucky, 45 minutes south of Lex
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, Kioti DK 65C
Greetings fellow TBNers.

First of all, I would like to say thanks.
The missus and I bought a small farm 2 years ago, our first attempt after leaving the city, (factory for me, small business for the missus).
If it was not for this site, I would have been beaten down, even more than I am.
Trying to learn, but too old for FFA & 4H.
Locals are like everywhere else, good and bad, honest and scams.
The community on this site though is what is the best in people.
Always meant to post, but always got caught up reading other threads.
Sooo much to learn it is nearly overwhelming.

Anyways.
Finished spring maintenance on my Kioti DK45SE HST, Tranny/Hydro filter & oil change, cleaned flushed radiator, oil w/filter change, greased points.
Finally have a good 4 - 5 days of weather to get my first cutting in, (alfalfa w/orchard grass).
I am in hog heaven.

After the cut, I begin to tedder.

I am very good about watching my gauges, everything fine.
But before I realize it, my oil light comes on, and as I review the situation, the engine does one stomach turning screech, and shuts off all in the space in the blink of the eye.
I am very good about shutting down the tractor as soon as problems occur, (broken pins, bolts, etc), but never had a chance.
Turn the key to off, hop off the tractor, and find the one of the oil pan bolts have come loose.
My fault, I usually double and triple check things because I am so paranoid of screwing things up when I work on them, especially my vehicles, (not a pride thing with me, it is solely a cost concern).
Did not properly tighten the bolts.
I am still sick over it.
But, have to do something.
Replaced the bolt, put oil in, it started, drove it back to the shed.
Came to my security blanket, and ask for help.

The question is, what are my next steps to find out what damage was done?

I apologize for the length, but have learned from previous threads, the more information, usually the better.

The picture uploaded, (if properly done), was me celebrating God's creation just a few short hours before being reminded of a line from "The Seven Samurai", "God hates farmers".
Maybe in my case he hates stupid farmers.
But Lord knows I'm trying.

Thanks in advance to the community.

Leon & Therese

Attachments

• Hog Heaven.JPG
    Hog Heaven.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 519
   / Engine Siezed, What to do? #2  
I'm surprised your tractor didn't have a low oil shutdown sensor, maybe it happened to fast. You may have to open your oil filter and check for any metal. Rod and main bearings may have to be checked, oil pan could be hard to drop if axle ,front driveshaft are in the way. These tractors don't hold much for oil,mine[different brand] only holds 2-2 1/2 quarts with filter,not much oil if you have a bad leak. I hope everything turns out ok for you. plowking

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #3  
Super sorry to hear what happened!!!

What did the motor sound like when you drove back to the barn?

Not sure what to say, I think the party line would be. Drop the pan, check mains, pull the head, check cyl walls.

Not sure how you could get away without a rebuild?? Mains, honing the cyls. etc.

Got to think some serious damage was done if she seized?

There are others out here with much more experience than me, I'm familiiar with seizing two stroke gas (raced motocross for number of years and blew up my share of motors), who can provide some sound advice.

I'd hate to run the motor much after that for fear of something letting go a breaking what's not already broke.

Good luck my friend.

Joel

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #4  
OK....so lets see if we have the facts straight first:

Did you leave the drain plug loose and this was the cause of the oil leak?

How long (hours) did you operate after the oil change?

What RPM's and load while operating?

How hot was the engine when you first shut it down?...or, it shut itself down?

I think you need to explain what happened to a GOOD tractor mechanic and have him take a look at the engine for you. If you got it started again and no new noises....that is sure a good sign.

I hope it turns out well for you....but I think your in for an overhaul of the rings and bearings ....maybe more??

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #5  
I would Take it to a dealer I trusted and have it checked out. The best case scenario would be just having to replace the bearings. I have had drain plugs get knocked off trucks at work and if the driver catches it soon enough ,only have to change the bearings. Do not start the tractor!! Winch it on a trailer to get it to the repair shop. If you have spun a bearing every time you start it you are doing more damage. This is not a do it your self job unless you are a mechanic. I hope things work out well for you.
Bill

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #6  
if it started back up and you drove it back to the barn, why do you think it's seized?
I agree with pull the pan and filter and look for metal shavings.
I also agree with talk to a real mechanic.
How old is the tractor/how many hours?
what kind of relationship do you have with your dealer?
how did it sound when you drove it back to the barn?

/ Engine Siezed, What to do?
I love this community.
Really.
Been a follower since we bought the farm.

I have to agree with all.
There has to be damage.
And further operation will only exasperate, (sp?), it.

To answer some questions posed though.

The total time from when the oil light went on to the engine shutting itself off was approximately 1 minute, (I obsessively watch my instrument panel).
The screech, (metal on metal), and shutdown was instantaneously.
The drain plug was completely missing, somewhere mixed in with the alfalfa.
Hand tightened when I took the tractor out, (meant to go back to ratchet, but . . . wouldn't be this thread if I did), total operation time from spring maintenance to shut down, 3 hours.
2000 RPM's with very light load, (tedder), at time of shut-down.
Young tractor, two years old, 233 total hours, (Expletive OUCH!).
It sounded well when I took it back to the barn, but A) will look for metal shavings in the pan, (thankfully it is easily accessable), and filter, and B), will find a mechanic to review.
Once again, I am inclined not to start it up until fully diagnosed.
Finding a "trusted mechanic" could be difficult though, (no disrespect meant Hooked on HP, nice El-Camino shot).
Unfortunately, I am new to the area/state, (originally from Detroit, Go Wings!), and the dealer that I bought it from has ceased operations.

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #8  
I'm curious, what did it run like on the way back to the shed after putting oil in it?

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #9  
...I have to agree with all.
There has to be damage.
And further operation will only exasperate, (sp?), it...

There IS damage...as evidenced by the screech/seize. The issue is how much, and that depends to some extent on engine design. Your areas of concern are crankshaft bearings and cylinder walls. Hopefully, the engine stopped before cylinder wall damage. First, you'll need to check (or have checked) rod and main bearings, along with associated crankshaft surfaces for overheating/scoring. This is where damage starts with lack of lubrication, and the amount of damage to the bottom end determines how you proceed with repairs...

We've all experienced similar distractions...usually with minor consequences. Sorry that's not the case here...:(

/ Engine Siezed, What to do? #10  
If it seized from full throttle I would be very surprised if at least one connecting rod isn't bent a little.

Most likely you will be buying a new crank, rids and bearings for the lower end. I doubt if it hurt anything else.

I had a friend that had just changed oil lik yourself and lost the engine within half an hour. When he took the filter off the o-ring stayed on the engine. When he replaced it and went on his way, it blew out the ring and emptied the crankcase.

It is so easy to get distracted when we do things. I am sorry such simple things can cost us so much.