Checking hydraulic fluid???

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #1  

cumminspwrd

Tractor
MF255
Its a Massey Ferguson 255 with a FEL. When checking the fluid does the hydraulics need to be extended or does even matter since its a push pull system? Also does it need to be running?

Thanks in advance

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #2  
Shouldn't matter on the cylinders, like you say its push pull with only the piston rod volume making a difference. I would run it up to temp, then check the amount of oil in the sump knowing that any oil galleries were still pretty well full. On my JD the main criteria is to have the tractor on level ground.

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #3  
I agree.. if it used SA cyl's.. I'd extend them.. otherwise, it should be ok to check when static...

soundguy

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #4  
Just make sure you have the tractor on a level a spot as possible.

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #5  
Just wanted to add if your having a hard time seeing the fluid brush the end of the dip stick with a black magic marker...much easier on the peepers doing that.

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #6  
Just wanted to add if your having a hard time seeing the fluid brush the end of the dip stick with a black magic marker...much easier on the peepers doing that.

Or add a red dye to the fluid. Dye sold by Caterpillar so I imagine it is trustworthy.

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #7  
I've drilled small #10 or #12 holes in wide blade oil dipsticks before.. right at the fill line.. Intersecting the hole that is.. that way you can se the oil or thru the hole..

sounduy

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #8  
Or add a red dye to the fluid. Dye sold by Caterpillar so I imagine it is trustworthy.
Do you have a link for that?
/edit from experience I carry a paper towel and touch it to the paper towel, another thread here recommended a blue shop towel.

/ Checking hydraulic fluid??? #9  
Do you have a link for that?
/edit from experience I carry a paper towel and touch it to the paper towel, another thread here recommended a blue shop towel.

No link. It is just a tip I picked up on TBN. Caterpiller dealers apparently carry the dye.

I use the paper towel method myself but would add the dye if I ever run across a Caterpillar dealer.